Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barrrcelllooonnaaaa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimi2times

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Barrrcelllooonnaaaa Reply with quote

Hi

I'm going to Barcelona at the end of Aug to do a tefl course and so i thought i should ask the obvious question before i got out there: Are there many jobs in and around Barcelona?

Also, if anyone is out there at the mo, I would appreciate any tips/advice etc.. that you could pass on to a newbie. I speak good Spanish and am hoping to carry on learning when I'm over there - will this be a problem seeing as the regional language is Catalan - i bet this is an age old question but couldn't find any other threads...

peace and goodwill
Libs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you much with your question about jobs. There are jobs, but there are also hundreds of teachers, or so-called teachers in Barcelona.
About the language .... Catalan people are bilingual. If you speak to them in 'castellano', they'll probably use the same language. This happens in the city, the further away from Barcelona you are, the more Catalan you hear.
However, the last few times I walked around the streets I heard more English than any other language.... Times change ...
elisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am going to Barcelona in September and will be taking a TEFL certification course. Was wondering where you planned on getting your training. Feel a little bit confused and overwhelmed with the number of schools offering TEFL courses... plus it's a real financial commitment.
As for jobs... you're lucky you're a Brit. I'm Canadian which means "good luck finding employment in Europe"... (Sigh.)

I've also joined some "intercambios" (language exchanges) with people in Barcelona who want to improve their English while I improve my Spanish. I was informed that speaking Spanish is fine in Barcelona in that virtually everyone speaks it, but you'll be much more warmly received if you learn a little Catalan. The "Consorci per a la Normalitzacio Linguistica" offers Catalan courses for non-Spanish speakers for very low prices or for free. Courses start in October and February. Maybe I'll see you there.
gyunyu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bien venguts as they say in the local tongue. never did get used to catalan in my nine months there. even after studying french and spanish.

i took the ITC training course in 2004 and had a great experience for the most. the trainers were excellent and the classes entertaining and informative.

it's quite a slog getting through, at the end of my first week i felt i had been there for a month already. you will be creating a lesson plan by your third evening and teaching a class of up to twenty by your fourth day.

the downside of ITC for me was the total lack of materials. they have a self authored manual but do not provide or familiarize you with texts of any sort. it really forces your creativity, true, but that can be exhausting.

check out International House for better prices and more recources. also a better location a short jaunt from the main hub Placa Catalunya. can't report about the course itself but they seem very proffessional and well established.

good luck and give my regards to the beggars of calle ferran. or is it carrer ferran?
lizb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Elisa!
I'm also a Canadian wanting to go to Barcelona in September. I took a TESOL course here in Calgary in February but am now thinking that most schools are looking for more than a short course. What school are you taking your course through and do they "guarantee" employment once you've finished? I'd appreciate any information you've come across that you could share!
Thanks,
Liz
CharlesTESOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who has been here for several years, I can say there definitely is work in Barcelona. It is competitive, though, so as a newbie you should:

a. get certified if you are not;
b. email/drop off a lot of CVs (and make follow-up calls and visits);
c. check out schools in the suburbs, too;
d. be willing to work for more than one school if necessary;
e. accept schedules that may include early hours, late hours, travel time;
f. put time and effort into getting private students, too;
h. not give up after only three or four weeks. (It may not take that long, but it may take two or three weeks longer. Persistence will pay off.)

It's a great place, so it is worth the effort. If you speak Spanish, it is easy to get around, as it is officially bi-lingual. The Catalanistas may have a high profile but they really are not in the majority. Non-Spanish speakers can get around, too, as the place is very oriented towards tourists.

The Esculea Oficial de Idiomas offers low cost classes in Spanish and Catalan. Their locations are listed at their web site:
http://www.eoidiomas.com/otraseoi/cataluna.html#PBARCELONA

Last edited by CharlesTESOL on Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
jimi2times

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and advice!
waltyork

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Barcelona for four years, just moved back to Toronto. There are still jobs out there, but the going hourly rate has been flattening, if not going down, for quite some time.

I worked for one of the larger schools that do a lot of in company training. For 25 contract hours, travel time and stuff I was netting 1300 euros after tax. Something you can survive on.

Avoid wall street institute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: