Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's up with Skype English? (Asian Forum)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: What's up with Skype English? (Asian Forum) Reply with quote

I found one site from NOVA (a Japanese English ed. company) called 'Woman.' It's a Skype English site run out of Cebu City for, who would not suppose I guess- lonely Japanese men??

Anyway, minimum wage in the Philippines is about 2 USD an hour and from their prices it seems that's about what the women are making.

Other searches yielded similar, ridiculously low prices, like 95 yen for 25 minutes. Teachers from lots of different countries too. But I couldn't crack the prices further without actually signing up for a free lesson.

So what gives here? They must be charging some bigger prices for 'texts' or something. You can't get person to person attention for 2 bucks an hour anywhere. Can you?

One reason I'm asking is that if I were, in the future, to teach English over Skype I'd want at least $30 USD for one hour, or $15 USD for 30 minutes. I know there are teachers out there who would teach for as low as $15 an hour, but that's still way more than two bucks! I'd like to know a good justification for charging a higher price. There must be a hidden cost at these sites...I think...
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with Skype English? (Asian Forum) Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
I found one site from NOVA (a Japanese English ed. company) called 'Woman.' It's a Skype English site run out of Cebu City for, who would not suppose I guess- lonely Japanese men??

Anyway, minimum wage in the Philippines is about 2 USD an hour and from their prices it seems that's about what the women are making.

Other searches yielded similar, ridiculously low prices, like 95 yen for 25 minutes. Teachers from lots of different countries too. But I couldn't crack the prices further without actually signing up for a free lesson.

So what gives here? They must be charging some bigger prices for 'texts' or something. You can't get person to person attention for 2 bucks an hour anywhere. Can you?

One reason I'm asking is that if I were, in the future, to teach English over Skype I'd want at least $30 USD for one hour, or $15 USD for 30 minutes. I know there are teachers out there who would teach for as low as $15 an hour, but that's still way more than two bucks! I'd like to know a good justification for charging a higher price. There must be a hidden cost at these sites...I think...

Minimum wage in the Philippines varies on location.
Currently is it about US$6/day in metro Manila (but you can often find casual labor for much less (maids for $60/month + room&board), and you can hire people (degree and decent English skills) for as little as $3-5/day from Cebu.

A licensed teacher earns <$450/month, a senior school principal (principal 2) tops out at ~$900/month.
Salaries in language centers run about $250-300/month (25-30 classes/wk) for your average Pinoy.

Whitey is not going to compete against them when it comes to $$$.

bluetortilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What's up with Skype English? (Asian Forum) Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:

Minimum wage in the Philippines varies on location.
Currently is it about US$6/day in metro Manila (but you can often find casual labor for much less (maids for $60/month + room&board), and you can hire people (degree and decent English skills) for as little as $3-5/day from Cebu.

A licensed teacher earns <$450/month, a senior school principal (principal 2) tops out at ~$900/month.
Salaries in language centers run about $250-300/month (25-30 classes/wk) for your average Pinoy.

Wow, that's pretty low. I'm not surprised by those figures however. But how is the cost of living?

I read from the GEOS site (GEOS is part of NOVA Holdings) the following salaries:

ONLINE ENGLISH TEACHER (Office Based, Cebu City)

Full- time Php9000 – Php15000
Part-time Php4500 – Php7500

And the requirements are very high as well (MA, excellent computer and of course excellent English skills).

But what is NOVA/GEOS getting?
likwid_777

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White bakla might be a marketable niche to the Japanese customers Laughing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't Nova the company that went bust after not paying it's teachers for several months and leaving them stranded in Japan?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that was them. I showed up for an interview for them in San Francisco in September of 2007 only to find out that they collapsed a month later. The people that were left stranded by the company, I believe most of them were given other English teaching jobs in Japan by the government.
mfinna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard of a market out there for Japanese business types, specifically. Apparently, they simply want to practice free style conversation over Skype. Presumably with a native speaker, but maybe these days a Filipino might be good enough with good value for money. Filipinos certainly find work in SE Asia as teachers, often side by side with native speaking teachers, albeit often at a lower salary.

As far as what they are probably getting from the Japanese students, would reckon it's on par or slightly lower than 20-25 USD per hour. A google search for "learn English online skype" will have quite a few results with teacher profiles and their fees.

-Fin
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are times when that's enough for me. You could work in Bangkok Thailand online, provided you could find a decent enough Wi-Fi line Rolling Eyes .
arentol

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've lived here in Cebu for 8 years. Some observations:

The vast majority of foreigners here in Cebu are Korean -- not too many Japanese and more Koreans here than Caucasians -- and most of the English-language schools here cater specifically to Korean students.

In other words, Koreans come here to learn English because it's cheaper for both tuition and cost-of-living.

Hope this helps.

Aren

P.S.: Just realized that I've been a member here for over 9 years and this is my first post. Better late than never! Very Happy
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A British colleague of mine who retired from EFL teaching lives in Cebu and he told me that Filipinos (not native English speakers) are needed to teach English there....and that native English teachers are not wanted or needed.He mentioned that TEFL wages are very low (something like $350 a month for full time Filipinos) and that the cost of living is quite expensive. His advice is just come to Cebu for a holiday or retire there with SAVINGS! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: