Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I just go to the institutes with my resume?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Should I just go to the institutes with my resume? Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm currently in Bogota and I was wondering about something.

How should I approach institutes? Should I just show up, resume in hand? Should I just call?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I just go to the institutes with my resume? Reply with quote

Zimmerman wrote:
Hi.

I'm currently in Bogota and I was wondering about something.

How should I approach institutes? Should I just show up, resume in hand? Should I just call?

In person is better. Wear a tie (or something equally dressy if you're a woman.)

Good luck! And please keep us posted on how things go. Smile
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea, thanks. So, what should I say? I don't want to come off as rude, walking in there like I'm expecting them to drop what they are doing and give me an on-the-spot interview.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmerman wrote:
Sounds like a good idea, thanks. So, what should I say? I don't want to come off as rude, walking in there like I'm expecting them to drop what they are doing and give me an on-the-spot interview.

Just ask if there are any openings available for English teachers and, if so, offer them a copy of your resume. If they're interested, they'll either talk to you on the spot, ask you to come back at a time that's convenient for them, or call you later after the director has had a chance to look over your resume.

Have you identified the schools you want to apply at yet? If not, I'd recommend targeting schools off of the following lists:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108213

http://www.tefl-tips.com/2014/09/the-best-tefl-jobs-in-colombia.html
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps a lot. Thanks.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your request for a list of schools on the other thread, can I assume that you're still looking for work? It occurred to me that your job search may be in limbo as most schools are probably on break until after Día de Los Reyes.
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Based on your request for a list of schools on the other thread, can I assume that you're still looking for work? It occurred to me that your job search may be in limbo as most schools are probably on break until after Día de Los Reyes.

Yes. I think you got it. Nothing is really happening right now. Should I just wait until Jan 6th and then continue my search? I don't want my resume to get lost in a pile on someone's desk.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd kick back, enjoy the holidays, and get going again on Jan 7th. Or, possibly, even wait until the week of January 12th. You could ask around, but chances are good that nothing much is going to be happening during the week of the 6th anyway.
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
I'd kick back, enjoy the holidays, and get going again on Jan 7th. Or, possibly, even wait until the week of January 12th. You could ask around, but chances are good that nothing much is going to be happening during the week of the 6th anyway.

Sounds like good advice. I'll just take the next few weeks to settle in and explore the city a little.
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the ESL job search suddenly become more difficult after Feb. 1st?
BakerStreetSaxSolo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I first got here I applied everywhere throughout January and nobody called me or followed through with anything. In the first week of february I got inundated with job offers!

So, start the work of approaching schools and institutes in January if you want, but don't expect to hear back immediately, and be prepared for most places to finally get their act together in February.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: