Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chances of Employment and Where?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orhan1337

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Chances of Employment and Where? Reply with quote

I currently reside in the USA and have attained my bachelors degree in English, Masters degree in Childhood education, New York State teaching, CELTA, and TEFL certification. I only have 3 months of ESL teaching experience (worked for International House language school) and I am both an American and Turkish citizen who speaks both languages natively. I am not looking to get into language schools as wages are low. What are my chances of getting reputable employment in Turkey (Istanbul)? If well, what schools may I apply to? I don't want to go to Turkey (Istanbul) without booking a contract with a school first.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Chances of Employment and Where? Reply with quote

Orhan1337 wrote:
I currently reside in the USA and have attained my bachelors degree in English, Masters degree in Childhood education, New York State teaching, CELTA, and TEFL certification.

With a US teaching license, why are you not focusing on American curriculum, international elementary school positions? They tend to pay more than ESL.
Orhan1337

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to go back to where I was born which is Turkey. I am not trying to teach English but rather want to be a primary school teacher grades 1-6 or maybe if I have a chance at a college in Turkey.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orhan1337 wrote:
I want to go back to where I was born which is Turkey. I am not trying to teach English but rather want to be a primary school teacher grades 1-6 or maybe if I have a chance at a college in Turkey.

Which is what I suggested: work in an American or IB curriculum international school in Turkey. Who do you think teaches the children of Americans and other English-speaking expats in the country? Besides, with an MA in Childhood Education, you're trained to teach youngsters and not adults, which is how university employers are likely to see you as well.
svenhassel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your chances are excellent. If I were you I'd join the Istanbul green list on Facebook to connect with teachers in those schools. seems to be a lot of work there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: