Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mynammar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bentanddisfunctional wrote:
Myanmar health check requirements are quite thorough and stringent.

You need to be screened for syphilis and HIV. Your blood pressure will be taken, and an EKG performed. You will also have an ultrasound scan of your torso, a chest X-ray, blood taken and standard measurements of height and weight. You teeth and eyesight will also be checked.
In addition you will be tested for opiates,marijuana metabolites and amphetamines.

You may do this in your home country however this document will need to be notarised or alternatively at one of the approved medical facilities in Yangon or Mandalay- cost approximately US $280 and is valid for 1 year.
Employers don't normally reimburse you for that.

Good luck

Were you expected to get this med check upon arrival or after the first month's salary?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be screened for syphilis and HIV. Your blood pressure will be taken, and an EKG performed. You will also have an ultrasound scan of your torso, a chest X-ray, blood taken and standard measurements of height and weight. You teeth and eyesight will also be checked.
In addition you will be tested for opiates,marijuana metabolites and amphetamines.

You may do this in your home country however this document will need to be notarised or alternatively at one of the approved medical facilities in Yangon or Mandalay- cost approximately US $280 and is valid for 1 year.

Good luck

Were you expected to get this med check upon arrival or after the first month's salary?
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

Good luck

See Saya's answer on this: it is not required by the Myanmar gov. though individual institutions may have their own rules. Something tells me that an institution that requires all this is a real red flag for work conditions. I would think, offhand, these are Int. schools who go by their affiliate rules or who answer to demands from the parents of obviously upper class families. Either way doesn't sound good to me.

My own personal opinion is that unless you are being screened for an aggressive, highly infectious disease that there has been a recent outbreak of, medical tests are irrational and discriminatory. I am working in China at the moment, but I personally tend to boycott countries that continue this degrading practice.

Not sure about Indonesia and Malaysia, but neither Thailand, Japan, Laos, Cambodia, or Myanmar require a med check now. The future could change things, but it doesn't seem like that either Thailand or Japan will impose these requirements any time soon.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this is useful information or not, but:

-most of the schools I see online are in Yangon
-most of the those sites are hosted by big multi-national TEFL names
-most of the full time jobs fall under the 'international school' category and many require you to teach subjects besides TEFL
-the interview process 'sounds' strict
-the benefits, including housing, are generous

I have a friend working at such a school right now in Yangon. She loves Myanmar, likes the work, but says she's definitely overworked and too tired to do much most weeks except teach, veg out, sleep, and teach again. That's a real life testimony, but I don't know if it's typical.

I would imagine that teaching full time in international schools must be a similar experience anywhere. Not saying that's bad, not at all. But probably not for me.

I'm going to Mandalay with a light suit and tie, a smile, and a very positive attitude this September and see what comes up. I would love to tutor IELTS/TOEFL or teach general English conversation, for under 20 classes a week, preferably 15, if that's possible. If not I'll move on.

In a word, not much on the net. For Mandalay, very very little.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question about Myanmar as I WAS planning on just going to Mandalay to see what pans out, but having read other posts am having serious second thoughts.
I don't care about blackouts, no water for a day, pot holes...etc., rabid dogs are scary, but I'm getting the impression that you're pretty much at the mercy of your employer when you take a teaching job and not only will you not have much maneuvering space, you'll have no recourse to getting ripped off. Is that pretty much accurate- on the bad side of things?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
I'm going to Mandalay with a light suit and tie, a smile, and a very positive attitude this September and see what comes up.

That sounds exciting. Definitely off the beaten path. Please keep us posted on how it goes.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
bluetortilla wrote:
I'm going to Mandalay with a light suit and tie, a smile, and a very positive attitude this September and see what comes up.

That sounds exciting. Definitely off the beaten path. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Mandalay became Vientiane!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss Boss Look The Plane The Plane!!!......Yes Tatoo another EFL Backpacker has arrived in Paradise.....send him to Big Brother House!!!! Laughing Laughing
Forest Song

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Does anyone on the ground in Yangon have answers to the questions below? Thank you very much!

1) Is fresh broccoli widely available in Yangon?

2) How about plain, uncooked oatmeal? It would not matter if it was Quaker brand or something similar.

3) How about green bell peppers?

4) What form of milk is available? Is it hard to find fresh milk?

5) Can packages mailed from family in the U.S. be received reliably in Yangon? If they get through reliably, are such packages heavily taxed by customs?

6) How difficult is it to get a cell phone set up in Myanmar?

-Forest Song
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest Song wrote:

Bah! If it's hard to find good. Milk is bad for you anyway. Milk drinkers should consider shifting to Yogurt or Cheese.
cb400

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mynammar Reply with quote

Daddyo wrote:
...anybody interested AT ALL in the republic formerly known as Burma? The subject just never comes up but I bet there are language schools there. Maybe trade English classes for Buddhist instruction at a monastery?

Yes Interested.

Subject comes up often on this forum. Use the 'search' function before you embarrass yourself again.
bentanddisfunctional

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Forest Song"]Hello-

Does anyone on the ground in Yangon have answers to the questions below? Thank you very much!

1) Is fresh broccoli widely available in Yangon?

2) How about plain, uncooked oatmeal? It would not matter if it was Quaker brand or something similar.

3) How about green bell peppers?

5) Can packages mailed from family in the U.S. be received reliably in Yangon? If they get through reliably, are such packages heavily taxed by customs?

6) How difficult is it to get a cell phone set up in Myanmar?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. UHT carton milk

5.Postage is through the archaic old post office downtown. Reasonably reliable as far as i know with minimal duty.For a more reliable but expensive option I would DHL it.

6. RE the cell phone, -a sim card is around $150.

you're welcome
Bent
Forest Song

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks very much, Bent!

Almost all good news, too, except maybe no fresh milk.

P.S. Do you know if smartphones purchased in Thailand function in Yangon with a Myanmar sim?
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
esl_prof wrote:
bluetortilla wrote:

LOL!!!

Laughing

Enjoy the BIG BROTHER HOUSE!
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
bluetortilla wrote:
esl_prof wrote:
bluetortilla wrote:

LOL!!!

Laughing

Enjoy the BIG BROTHER HOUSE!

Ended up back in Japan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: