Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Instructional Technology in Asia?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halcyon Chimera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Instructional Technology in Asia? Reply with quote

Hello all! I hope this message finds you doing well. I am sending this question because I have concern of a career field in China. I am graduating this upcoming spring with a master's in instructional technology. Now, in America, this means I can teach other teachers how to incorporate technology into lesson plans, troubleshoot problems for corporations and provide appropriate and efficient training for personnel, design educational and training programs for schools and corporate sectors, etc. However, IS this degree useful in China given the language barrier? Now, to be fair, I have a bachelor's in English secondary education, a master's in English secondary education, two years of teaching experience in Alabama, and one year of teaching experience in Shanghai, so the teacher route is always an option. I am looking for work in Asia as a technology coordinator or something similar. IS that a realistic goal or is the language a barrier since most software on computers here are in Chinese?

Thanks in advance for your time and positive replies. Take care!
Halcyon Chimera

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anndd I have a class B and class A teaching certificate for the state of Alabama.. Not really relevant in another country but thought I would add it. Thanks!
Halcyon Chimera

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years later and no response -_- BUMP ^_^

I've been teaching English the past two years in China but really want to segue into the instructional tech. market if there is such a thing in Asia.

No info? Advice? Ideas?
litterascriptor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last school and current schools invested heavily in those god awful smart boards. I'd be a bigger fan of them if I didn't have to spend so much time fiddling with something that seemingly has such a low return.

Mebbe I'm not using the thing right, prefer the old chalkboard myself.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halcyon Chimera wrote:
I've been teaching English the past two years in China but really want to segue into the instructional tech. market if there is such a thing in Asia.

No info? Advice? Ideas?

My input...

- It's been 2 years, so polish up your tech skills and create a website with examples of your work. Software applications like Camtasia, Captivate, Articulate Storyline, and Flash are what employers like to see on a CV. Additionally, learn HTML and web design if you haven't done so already.

- Unless you have some sort of corporate experience in your background, stick with educational environments, at least for a few years.

- Obviously, the first place to seek out instructional tech responsibilities is at your current teaching situation; you ease into the position. But if your place of employment is devoid of technology, look elsewhere.

- Try the larger universities in Asian countries where English is widely spoken or where English is the language for instruction---Hong Kong, Malaysia, Korea, and Singapore come to mind. Do Internet searches on educational instructional designer in your target countries. Research prospective employers' websites to see if they have an ed tech department.

- If your US teaching license is current, look into teaching at one of the better American or IB curriculum international schools throughout Asia. Again, research prospective employers' websites for usage of technology.

- Seriously consider teaching in an international or public school in the UAE. A few years ago, the government pushed for technology for learning/teaching. It's big in the UAE. Plus, there are tons of opportunities to network. Check out the following: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/world/middleeast/uae-makes-huge-investment-in-education-and-technology.html?_r=0
http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/technology-is-key-in-modern-classroom-uae-educators-say
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/education/uae-launches-a-knowledge-revolution-1.1084275

By the way, I'll finish my Master of Educational Technology next fall.
Halcyon Chimera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Halcyon Chimera wrote:

No info? Advice? Ideas?

My input...

- It's been 2 years, so polish up your tech skills and create a website with examples of your work. Software applications like Camtasia, Captivate, Articulate Storyline, and Flash are what employers like to see on a CV. Additionally, learn HTML and web design if you haven't done so already.

- Unless you have some sort of corporate experience in your background, stick with educational environments, at least for a few years.

- Obviously, the first place to seek out instructional tech responsibilities is at your current teaching situation; you ease into the position. But if your place of employment is devoid of technology, look elsewhere.

- Try the larger universities in Asian countries where English is widely spoken or where English is the language for instruction---Hong Kong, Malaysia, Korea, and Singapore come to mind. Do Internet searches on educational instructional designer in your target countries. Research prospective employers' websites to see if they have an ed tech department.

- If your US teaching license is current, look into teaching at one of the better American or IB curriculum international schools throughout Asia. Again, research prospective employers' websites for usage of technology.

- Seriously consider teaching in an international or public school in the UAE. A few years ago, the government pushed for technology for learning/teaching. It's big in the UAE. Plus, there are tons of opportunities to network. Check out the following: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/world/middleeast/uae-makes-huge-investment-in-education-and-technology.html?_r=0
http://www.thenational.ae/uae/education/technology-is-key-in-modern-classroom-uae-educators-say
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/education/uae-launches-a-knowledge-revolution-1.1084275

By the way, I'll finish my Master of Educational Technology next fall.

Thanks for the reply Smile I've been heavily involved in the use of technology in all of my jobs, often sparking interest and inspiration in my colleagues to utilize the vast array of benefits that technology can offer in the classroom. I have a LiveText portfolio filled with samples of my EdTech work; however, I don't have training in web design or any programming (HTML, Java, etc.) I need to work on that, I suppose. I've also been looking for a position as an IT/DT teacher. I'll keep up the search. Thanks for your input.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halcyon Chimera wrote:
I don't have training in web design or any programming (HTML, Java, etc.) I need to work on that, I suppose.

Some resources:

- The Association for Talent Development (ATD) offers online training. https://www.td.org/

- For a huge variety of software training modules (including web design), check out http://www.lynda.com/ . The service isn't expensive.

- How-to books such as the Adobe "In a Classroom" series for Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, etc., can be purchased from Amazon in ebook format and come with lesson files. The series was the required instruction book for my InDesign and Photoshop classes. The IconLogic training books are good as well.

- Articulate Storyline is a popular (and easy) program for eLearning authoring but is very pricey. However, you can download it for a 30-day free trial in order to learn it.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: High tech Reply with quote

IT in the classroom? Great, provided you have a reliable source of electricity. My last employer didn't, and the smart boards they installed weren't the kind you could write on with whiteboard markers.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: High tech Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
IT in the classroom? Great, provided you have a reliable source of electricity. My last employer didn't, and the smart boards they installed weren't the kind you could write on with whiteboard markers.

Technology is great in some parts of the world but, in others, totally impractical. At my first teaching job in Latin America, proficiency in educational technology simply meant being able to project my voice over the sound of the gas powered generator adjacent to my classroom when the electricity went off 15 minutes into class each evening.

Having taught in the U.S. for the past five years, I've been exposed to a whole new world of teaching that embraces educational technology in a variety of ways. Technology is a great tool when you've got it, but good teachers should be able to adapt when the lights go out. In other words, technology shouldn't be the only tool in your teaching toolbox.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
- The Association for Talent Development (ATD) offers online training. https://www.td.org/

- For a huge variety of software training modules (including web design), check out http://www.lynda.com/ . The service isn't expensive.

- How-to books such as the Adobe "In a Classroom" series for Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, etc., can be purchased from Amazon in ebook format and come with lesson files. The series was the required instruction book for my InDesign and Photoshop classes. The IconLogic training books are good as well.

- Articulate Storyline is a popular (and easy) program for eLearning authoring but is very pricey. However, you can download it for a 30-day free trial in order to learn it.

Thanks for sharing, Nomad! I've been gradually incorporating more online components into my face-to-face classes over the past few semesters, so I'll likely be checking these materials out in the not so distant future.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Tech talk Reply with quote

Quote:
technology shouldn't be the only tool in your teaching toolbox

Wise words.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tech talk Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Quote:

Wise words.

Because when the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Tech talk Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
grahamb wrote:
Quote:

Wise words.

Because when the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Technology for teaching, learning, and training is broader than that. For starters, do an Internet search on Web 2.0 tools.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Technology in the classroom Reply with quote

Another factor is that many students lack even the most basic IT skills. I'm no Luddite, but I don't see my role as that of IT teacher.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Technology in the classroom Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Another factor is that many students lack even the most basic IT skills. I'm no Luddite, but I don't see my role as that of IT teacher.

If a youngster can easily navigate the buttons on a cell phone, they'll have no problem using basic technology for learning (in and out of class). Besides, they usually learn new technology intuitively and don't get hyped up over making a mistake or worrying about breaking the device the way adults do. Plus, older learners are expected to have tech skills for university studies as well work; otherwise, they're left in the dust.

By the way, IT stands for 'instructional technology' and not 'information technology.' It's not about teaching computer science skills to students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: