Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barranquilla???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatrinaESL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Barranquilla??? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I've never posted on here before but I've been reading the boards for years.

I recently applied to Universidad del Norte in Brranquilla (thanks to a post I saw from naturegirl that suggested they are a good employer) and I just had my first interview. I kind of have a feeling that I'll get the job (I have my MA TESOL, speak Spanish, and I've taught ESL in the states for some time, including the past year and a half at a university). I was just wondering if anyone has any experience working for uninorte or experience living in Barranquilla.

Thanks in advance!!
The Internationalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heard nice things about uni norte.

congrats if you get the job
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent some time in Barranquilla and know a lot of people who have either studied or worked at UniNorte.

Make sure they give you a decent, full time contract. You have the quals and experience to demand it. UniNorte is probably the best (only decent?) job on the coast if you discount colegios.

Barranquilla....it's a trip, that's for sure. I'd definitely say give it a try and see if you like it.

Cost of living will probably be slightly lower than Bogota.
KatrinaESL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks guys! I'll let you know if I get the job. They said I'd get a year contract and the pay scale was very good, so I'll take it if offered.

I'll definitely be ping you for contacts later. Smile
Gregorio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you take the job? Sorry for the late reply. I'd say if it's just for a year, it would be okay to do it. I have lived in Barranquilla for 2 years, but only because of a verbal agreement with my colegio. I would have left here after about 4-5 months. Barranquilla is a drinking/party town and I have met quite a few profs from Uninorte who are here for just the year to party and leave. I wish that was the case for me.

Barranquilla has a quite homogeneous culture, with splashes of an art scene here, or a jazz music thing there, but it's pretty much cumbia, vallenato, y salsa siempre... and at ear drum shattering volumes. It is very good that you already speak Spanish here, because to a beginner, it is almost unintelligible. I have learned quite a bit, but most people who are not dating a local don't learn Spanish here. All of the non-latina gringas I know here do not really enjoy it that much. It is an excellent place for single males who speak intermediate to advanced Spanish.

On the other hand, if you want a truly Latin American/Caribbean experience for longer than a vacation stretch, it is a great place for that. It is hot and humid most of the year, with a few months of dry, breezy, and cool (23 degrees celsius at the lowest at night). It's also close to places like Taganga, Cartagena, and Parque Tayrona. All worth the visits!

If you would like to know anything else, let me know.

Gregorio
KatrinaESL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gregorio!

I just saw this. Yes, I took the job. I've been at Uninorte since December.... I wonder if I know you! I wouldn't be surprised.

PM me if you'd like
billings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: salaries in Barranquilla Reply with quote

Hi All,
I used to teach at Colegio Marymount and salaries were excellent!! Could anybody give advice as to what salaries are at the moment - Uninorte, Colegio Marymount, Colegio Albania etc. Many thanks.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm coming to Barranquilla in March. I'm a little paranoid regarding the finding of work as it does not seem to be well advertised in the same way as Bogota.

What tips can you give me for finding schools?

Also how does one go about finding an apartment. I usually use Craig's List. However, when it comes to Barranquilla, the pickings are slim or none at all.

Appreciate your input.

Regards,
Dude
Greg444201

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Hey Dude... Reply with quote

....Let me know how the Barranquilla thing works out and what requirements they are asking for if you get an interview. Very interested in getting back to Colombia after my current contract ends in September!

Thanks in advance!
danmbob

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update?

Last edited by danmbob on Sat May 06, 2017 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
meliksah

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have just been offered a position with Universidad del Norte. I have four years experience, and I have my MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL.

They are offering 6,051,058 pesos a month and a 640.000 peso a month allowance. Can you please tell me if that is a reasonable salary for the area?

Thanks,
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you're from or what kind of lifestyle you're accustomed to... but 6 million COP a month will have you living the good life in Barranquilla. Even in Bogota that would be considered a wealthy salary as long as you don't have a large family.
abbott123

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: 6 million plus pesos that is a great salary..I was paid 3.8 Reply with quote

million at Colegio Marymount. You would be living the life of Riley in the 6 mil range and would probably be able to save a good amount at the same time time. Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: