Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone split time between China and home country?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexasHighway

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to teach wrote:
Quote:
The freshmen in public university have military training the first part of school, so typically teachers of freshmen don't start until well after everyone else begins. Request freshmen

Current teachers might balk at a newbie trying to grab all the freshmen classes. A better approach might be to cut some time from the other end. University classes for foreign teachers often finish a couple weeks or so before those for Chinese teachers. I have never had any problem leaving two or three weeks before the official end of the semester as long as my grades have been turned in.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toteach wrote:
Request freshmen!

Generally, in public universities and colleges, FTs teach ONLY freshmen unless the FT has something of substance to offer upper classmen. I've heard of FTs requesting upperclassmen and requesting to teach other subjects besides English, but unless they have degrees in math, science, computer science, something technical, or an advanced degree in English, they teach oral English.
drjtrekker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Generally, in public universities and colleges, FTs teach ONLY freshmen unless the FT has something of substance to offer upper classmen.

Really? haha.
OH Bud, your continual dogmatism is tiring.

If i didn't know u better, I would think u live in a cave.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught at vocationals and tier one schools and Bud's experience is the same as mine.
I've had seniors because they fronted optional elective classes and also when final year students are putting in the minimum time before going off to the jobs they've secured.
Other than that, it's been wall to wall freshers.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjtrekker wrote:

If i didn't know u better, I would think u live in a cave.

I should have qualified my statement with "It is my observation and experience that..."

I do live in a cave, and it's under a rock. Have you been over to meet the missus? You MUST come for the Yulin Dog meat festival. It's a howling good time.
D-M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive pretty much spent the last 6 or 7 years doing the kind of thing you mention. It is possible, but it does have its downsides too.

I first worked in a vocational college ... worked a term, spent a summer in the UK at a summer school. worked a term, spent a 7 week winter holiday in the UK ... then worked a final term before another summer season back in the UK.

After that I found a job at a training centre, and have completed 3 contracts with them ... a 6 monther, followed by an 8 monther, and last year I finished a 10 monther. Have now been back in the UK for about a year ... will be heading back to China soon for some travel, but planning on starting a contract in September which I will run until June 2016 ... that naturally means Ill work a summer here before leaving, and work a summer here in the UK in 2016 when I come back.

Its worked quite well for me ... I have a child in the UK I dont like to be away from, and the time in the UK has been used for improving my qualification through study as well as family stuff.

There are downsides to this lifestyle of course. Bouncing between lives and countries means Im not tied down, which of course means its hard to make career or personal progress sometimes. I think it also reduces choice in terms of positions that are available to me .... I have a place and employer Im quite happy with, and they settle for what I can offer them in terms of contract times, but not sure all employers would be so keen. Which means some of the better paid jobs may not be out there for me.
Santos L Halper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinions D-M. I appreciate everyone's input. I am trying to convince my wife that it's possible to design our own careers (as opposed to do the same rut for decades), if we address the pros and cons, and are okay with those. Maybe not quite like that four hour work week guy but something along those lines.
toteach

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santos L Halper wrote:
Thanks for your opinions D-M. I appreciate everyone's input. I am trying to convince my wife that it's possible to design our own careers (as opposed to do the same rut for decades), if we address the pros and cons, and are okay with those. Maybe not quite like that four hour work week guy but something along those lines.

When one school I applied to learned I was married, the HR gal told me that we could *split* the classes between the two of us--giving us each less than 10 hours per week.

Schools eager to work with you DO exist, but it takes a bit of time to find them.

GOOD LUCK!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: