Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools in Mexico City? Recommendations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thor3K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Schools in Mexico City? Recommendations? Reply with quote

Hey all! So I just returned to Mexico after a three year hiatus (I had been teaching in Queretaro previously). Well I've decided to finally try Mexico City, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good schools or contacts in the city? I'm primarily looking for business/private classes. Thanks for any leads, contacts or advice.

British, Masters, TESOL 120+ hrs, 7 years teaching experience in Mexico, Spain and Saudi Arabia. Expertise in teaching exam courses (Cambridge + IELTS + TOEIC). Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Schools in Mexico City? Recommendations? Reply with quote

Thor3K wrote:
Hey all! So I just returned to Mexico after a three year hiatus (I had been teaching in Queretaro previously). Well I've decided to finally try Mexico City, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good schools or contacts in the city? I'm primarily looking for business/private classes. Thanks for any leads, contacts or advice.

British, Masters, TESOL 120+ hrs, 7 years teaching experience in Mexico, Spain and Saudi Arabia. Expertise in teaching exam courses (Cambridge + IELTS + TOEIC). Any help would be hugely appreciated!

I'm curious, which English schools did you teach for in Queretaro? I just arrived here FROM Mexico City, where I briefly taught in the world's worst prepa; I taught in a decent one in Culiacan for the three years before that. Now I'm back to business and conversational English for adults, as I taught in Korea four years ago.
Thor3K

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught a class or two for Bridge Insitute www.bridgeinstitute.com.mx

Otherwise I did my own thing (privates). Queretaro is really nice city, enjoy!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try Craig´s List, here seem to be a lot of classes on there these days. Check out Alpha Lingua, they do business classes, mostly with execs and pay on time. I can tell you a couple to avoid as well, if you want to send me a PM. But if the owner is from Zimbabwe, run in the opposite direction.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor3K wrote:
I taught a class or two for Bridge Insitute www.bridgeinstitute.com.mx

Otherwise I did my own thing (privates). Queretaro is really nice city, enjoy!

Ah, privates. I've been thinking about that. If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about drumming up business? Another regular here at Dave's suggests putting free ads on Vivanuncios, Adoos, and Segundamano (s/he is less positive about Craigslist, and in any case there is no Craigslist Queretaro). I'd be interested in targeting university and high school students, TOEFL test-takers and so on, so as not to compete with my employer, who doesn't specialize in those areas, but is focused on business English. I really like working for him, and he is building up my hours. BUt if I can pick up some tutoring privates too, that would be optimal.

Queretaro is indeed a great city, and I am quite enchanted by it. I have been looking for a place to settle down and eventually retire in - I'm 56 - and this city meets ALL my requirements. So I am very determined to make the personal economics work here, and I am sure that I can.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the best way to get private students is being friendly and open with the people you regularly come in contact with, let them know you are an English teacher and they will approach you about lessons. I turn down requests about once a week.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
In my experience the best way to get private students is being friendly and open with the people you regularly come in contact with, let them know you are an English teacher and they will approach you about lessons. I turn down requests about once a week.

I certainly try to do that, and I am networking, so I imagine that opportunities will materialize if I am patient. I will still try advertising on those three websites; placing the ads is free, and it couldn't hurt.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:

I don´t turn them down, haha, I just quote my hourly rate and THEY turn them down. I even tell them they can get a friend to share the classes for the same rate, but that still seems like too much, oh well. I do like doing private classes, but I am also not going to do them for 50 pesos an hour when I could be earning 200 pesos and hour doing something else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: