Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American University Duhok Kurdistan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Defenestrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: American University Duhok Kurdistan Reply with quote

They placed an ad on the job board in December. I applied and recently sent a follow-up email, but there's been no response.

Has anybody else applied and/or heard back from them?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably took a semester break in December. Give it some time.

By the way, this university is brand-spankin' new. If you get an interview, be sure to ask the right questions in terms of teaching in a start-up program.
Defenestrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give them a couple more weeks before I send a belligerent, all-caps email. Laughing

I've worked in Kurdistan before, so I'm familiar with the usual bumps and hurdles. This being a new program, it should just make it all the more fun!
cartago

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine why you'd want to work in Duhok but if you end up going send me a PM. I live nearby and would be cool to meet other expats.
returnee2014

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dohuk is beautiful. I've sent a feeler email out to them as well. Currently working in Suli. I'm not a very social person, so the lack of a 'scene' is not an issue for me. It'll be like Suli, but even more beautiful and with a nicer salary.

I was going to apply at American University in Suli, however they've announced a hiring freeze. There is xpat flight from Suli in general because the economy is not good and companies are leaving. In Dohuk they've got an established oil economy.

They've not responded to my email either. I'm going to try to reach them by phone and get the details on the contact hours and the housing situation and will pm anyone who's interested in what I find out. The rumors are that they are looking for a large number of instructors pronto.
cartago

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mountains are beautiful but personally I don't really find the town to be attractive. I think it's pretty different from Sulaymaniyah because it just doesn't have things like the eating options, shopping, a cinema, things like that.
TrampledKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also haven't heard back from them.

It could be that the semester break runs through January.
Defenestrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken another offer so I'm no longer vying for a position. For what it's worth, a few days ago I received a reply from my follow-up inquiry to their "info@" email. They told me to send my documents to HR, which I had already done. Whatever's going on there, it doesn't seem like they're in a big hurry to start the hiring process.
Fareastbelfast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are definitely hiring.
SunnyYacht

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's new, anything?
Redcar24

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: no news Reply with quote

I sent them an sms and was emailed a reply to send my C.V. and documents which I did in Jan and then in Feb so I sms the person in charge and I have heard nothing back so far please help
danmbob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
returnee2014

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed talking to their director, but have to give it a pass because the teacher accomodations aren't built yet and they take no responsibilty for helping you find local accomodation.

It wouldn't be a bad gig if you really want to embrace the local culture. You could try to rent a place in a nearby village, or you could commute 20 miles from Dohuk every day. Not for me personally. I prefer to live in the same accomodation as the other expatriate staff.
returnee2014

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow up, there's been a lot of ISIS activity along the KRG border areas and Dohuk. People are saying it's not very safe up there for westerners right now and the oil companies are taking extra precautions for their expats. So getting your own place with the locals and commuting to work seems like a really bad idea at the moment. It's not like the pay is so great either. They're offering just over 3k a month but with rents in the region skyrocketing it'll run you 750-1000 a month to find a safe place plus transportation costs.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: AUK Reply with quote

returnee2014 wrote:
Just as a follow up, there's been a lot of ISIS activity along the KRG border areas and Dohuk. People are saying it's not very safe up there for westerners right now and the oil companies are taking extra precautions for their expats. So getting your own place with the locals and commuting to work seems like a really bad idea at the moment. It's not like the pay is so great either. They're offering just over 3k a month but with rents in the region skyrocketing it'll run you 750-1000 a month to find a safe place plus transportation costs.

To update: The area is safe. Currently have friends there. $3500/month. Unfurnished apartments can be found for $250, plus utilities-- all in around $300. Furnished places are around $600, inclusive of utilities. Commuting to work poses no danger, but does add up to about $200. Carpooling with other teachers is a good idea and possible. Apartments can be found within walking distance of the uni, but this area is far from the bars. But if you dont mind being a hermit, like me, liqour stores are everywhere. Many expats have left not because of safety concerns but because if the change in visa regs and the closing of the international airspace.

Ditto above comments about the quiet lifestyle Duhok has to offer, although there are two shopping malls. Nothing to write home about, however. Mountain hikers will have stuff to do, when the weather permits.

This is based on personal experience and I am happy to answer any questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: