Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher Age Discrimination In Vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cb400

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
lexpat wrote:

Wow. I've lived in VN, off and on, for over a decade and I have NEVER heard anybody say Viets like blue eyed blondes. Opposite. For many years anyone with blue eyes was consigned to the fields and unable to work at any real job because it was supposed they were the shameful spawn of a peasant and a Western soldier. I think a lot of that has carried over.

When it comes to appearance, Viets (especially in the south) like people who look like them: round faced, plump, with high forehead. Turks, Greeks, Hispanics, etc. are most highly esteemed as long as they aren't too dark. Scandinavians (and light haired Russians), the least. A smiley, fat faced, pale Celtic type with dark eyes, no interest in Western Civ of any sort, and a gift for gab is best of all! Understand, Viets don't REALLY admire good looks any more than they do intelligence. They are some of the most resentful folks on the planet.

But actually, I don't think Viets care about appearance anywhere near as much as people in most countries. They like people who are 'active,' as they say. They want to get their money's worth. Far more wash out because they fail to jump around like the lackey they are than because they are too old or ugly.

I don't know what to say other than that everything you just wrote is total bullsh*t. And anyone who's lived here in the last decade would tell you that.

I don't if this was some attempt at a joke that went over my head, but misinformation like that should be illegal.

I am with what ExpatLuke wrote. Clearly the above poster has never set foot in Vietnam.

The Vietnamese are extremely superficial and are VERY concerned about how you look. I've been in meetings with Viets who asked me to fire a girl because she was too fat and the parents were concerned she could hurt their children accidentally sitting on them (this is 100% true) ! I've been told to hire 'more handsome' male teachers to make the students happier, though I refused and said I hired based on experience and qualifications including how they can handle working in such a f**** ed place over time.

Don't get me started on what the Viets say about (I understand Vietnamese enough to know what they are saying to each other) 'coloured' people and Viet Kieus. Try hiring a black teacher with all the proper paperwork, you will find yourself having to fight to justify your decision. Just because they are not saying it to you in English does not mean they are not saying it in Vietnamese to each other.

Most of the Vietnamese are extremely racist and discriminatory.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb400 wrote:
ExpatLuke wrote:
lexpat wrote:

Wow. I've lived in VN, off and on, for over a decade and I have NEVER heard anybody say Viets like blue eyed blondes. Opposite. For many years anyone with blue eyes was consigned to the fields and unable to work at any real job because it was supposed they were the shameful spawn of a peasant and a Western soldier. I think a lot of that has carried over.

When it comes to appearance, Viets (especially in the south) like people who look like them: round faced, plump, with high forehead. Turks, Greeks, Hispanics, etc. are most highly esteemed as long as they aren't too dark. Scandinavians (and light haired Russians), the least. A smiley, fat faced, pale Celtic type with dark eyes, no interest in Western Civ of any sort, and a gift for gab is best of all! Understand, Viets don't REALLY admire good looks any more than they do intelligence. They are some of the most resentful folks on the planet.

But actually, I don't think Viets care about appearance anywhere near as much as people in most countries. They like people who are 'active,' as they say. They want to get their money's worth. Far more wash out because they fail to jump around like the lackey they are than because they are too old or ugly.

I don't know what to say other than that everything you just wrote is total bullsh*t. And anyone who's lived here in the last decade would tell you that.

I don't if this was some attempt at a joke that went over my head, but misinformation like that should be illegal.

The Vietnamese are extremely superficial and are VERY concerned about how you look. I've been in meetings with Viets who asked me to fire a girl because she was too fat and the parents were concerned she could hurt their children accidentally sitting on them (this is 100% true) ! I've been told to hire 'more handsome' male teachers to make the students happier, though I refused and said I hired based on experience and qualifications including how they can handle working in such a f**** ed place over time.

Don't get me started on what the Viets say about (I understand Vietnamese enough to know what they are saying to each other) 'coloured' people and Viet Kieus. Try hiring a black teacher with all the proper paperwork, you will find yourself having to fight to justify your decision. Just because they are not saying it to you in English does not mean they are not saying it in Vietnamese to each other.

Most of the Vietnamese are extremely racist and discriminatory.

I also agree 200% with the above Twisted Evil
lexpat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ExpatLuke wrote:
lexpat wrote:

Well. Don't know what to tell you. I started at RMIT in Hanoi back in 2004, have taught at a half dozen schools in Hanoi and HCMC. Perhaps things have changed so much that I don't understand the place. Last time I actually discussed this issue online was with my good buddy Lizard Doc at the long gone Saigonesl site - and that was six or seven years ago at least. Almost all the people I know are over 40, married and not part of the crowd that deals with people in Pham Ngu Lao.

I will admit that returning this time from Iraq (where I've spent about half my time the last few years), I note that the young middle class viet females in HCMC now seem to be with younger, better looking guys, though I would suggest this has more to do with status than it does aesthetics. They are more like their peers in the rest of the world in this as in many things.

Oh, but on the contrary young Luke, if anything, perhaps I've been here too long to recognize the changes. Almost everybody has left! As will I, for the final time, at Tet....
lexpat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vietnamese are extremely racist and discriminatory? You think?

Of course they are, and you don't think this attitude extends to Westerners? All I said is they prefer their own culture/practices/faces in all things. This place is all about insularity. My point is just that if they like Western looks its more a matter of status than attractiveness. Once they liked fat rich guys above all. They are changing, replacing one high status marker for another...

My opinions on these matters are the result of many years of teaching/coaching IELTS students....not hanging out on vietnam cupid...
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first came to Vietnam in 2010. The phenomena of idolizing western beauty is not unique to Vietnam. It's wide-spread across Asia. The blond hair, blue eyes, tall, white skin is what every girl I've ever met here thinks is attractive. Ask the men what think is attractive and the answer will always be, tall girls with long legs and white skin.

Dark skin is very ugly to them, short people are not as attractive as tall people.

It's not about status. It may have been in the past. Just look at whomyour students idolize. Korean and western pop stars and actors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: