Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doha versus Abu Dhabi job offer ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Doha versus Abu Dhabi job offer ? Reply with quote

I have just received a job offer in both Doha and Abu Dhabi.
Can anyone here tell me which city is better or are they the same say in terms of quality of life ?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be pros and cons to either city, and you will surely find people on both sides. I would choose Abu Dhabi for reasons that are all my own. (The UAE is a more interesting country with mountains, dunes, beaches, and proximity to Oman, which is even more interesting)

IMHO, I would pick the best job. Either city is fine if you don't hate your job... or have to commute forever in the miserable traffic that both has... or housing is poor or too expensive.

VS
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abu Dhabi is vastly superior to Doha for quality of life, although frankly I've only visited Abu Dhabi, never lived there. But for infrastructure and level of development, Doha is way behind. Doha is an emerging city - absolutely nowhere near completion. Although it has some very pleasing aspects, such as its stunning City Centre and Corniche, it will not be in a truly good condition for a decade at least. Abu Dhabi is there already.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:29 am    Post subject: Abu Dhabi Reply with quote

Rumor has it that rents are going to go down in Abu Dhabi. There are high-end and low-end shopping venues. You can always drive down to Dubai for a day if you really want to blow out the budget.

The Abu Dhabi beaches are easily accessed. There are lots of free events always happening.

The bus system isn't bad. If you don't plan on buying a car in your first year, check the bus routes in reference to your place of work and accommodations. I don't think the traffic is all that bad in Abu Dhabi, as long as you pick one of the fast routes into the city.

Your options for escaping "island fever" are much better in Abu Dhabi, I would say.
hail cat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abu Dhabi, because:

The UAE is much more developed in general than Qatar.

Traffic and driving habits in Abu Dhabi are much better. In Doha, you risk your life every day just by getting in a car.

You don't need an "exit permit" just to leave the country.

Medical care is, overall, superior in the UAE.

It's a bigger country with a lot more places to visit, plus you can drive to Oman, which is even bigger and more varied.
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hail cat wrote:
Abu Dhabi, because:

The UAE is much more developed in general than Qatar.

Traffic and driving habits in Abu Dhabi are much better. In Doha, you risk your life every day just by getting in a car.

You don't need an "exit permit" just to leave the country.

Medical care is, overall, superior in the UAE.

It's a bigger country with a lot more places to visit, plus you can drive to Oman, which is even bigger and more varied.

Thanks to you (and all the others here) who have responded.

Sounds like the UAE is a better choice plus I certainly do not like the idea of needing an exit visa each time I leave Qatar!
rtm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaharaDesert wrote:
I certainly do not like the idea of needing an exit visa each time I leave Qatar!

Whether you need one or not depends on what your employer chooses to do. My employer in Qatar gave me (and all other employees) a multiple-exit permit, so I was able to come and go as I pleased and never had to ask my employer for an exit visa.
Safa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for Qatar, depending on your experience, if it's your first teaching experience in Middle East, it's less stress to teach in Qatar

Btw, where did you get the vacancy for Qatar ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: