Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American School Foundation of Chiapas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eiramaras

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: American School Foundation of Chiapas? Reply with quote

Does anyone know any info about the American School Foundation of Chiapas? Is it a decent place to work/ do they pay on time/ do they deliver on their promises? I'd really like to hear anything you know about them. Thanks!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: American School Foundation of Chiapas? Reply with quote

Eiramaras wrote:
Does anyone know any info about the American School Foundation of Chiapas? Is it a decent place to work/ do they pay on time/ do they deliver on their promises? I'd really like to hear anything you know about them. Thanks!

The only thing I know about them is that they seem to have high turnover/always be in need of teachers/always advertising. That could be a good sign - maybe they are expanding/growing. Or maybe it is a crappy place to work. I remember seeing advertisements regularly for the last 7 or 8 years, could be longer, but that is when I started remembering them.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listed pay seems quite low, which could help account for the turnover. The one review at the International Schools Review is mixed, and echoes words that I myself was writing here just a few days ago: "Despite its non-profit status [my bolding], the American School Foundation of Chiapas (ASFC) is a business first and a school second...Most serious issues stem from the combination of a 'business first' mentality and a lack of understanding (with the owners and school board) as to what an 'American/International' style education looks like both on paper and in practice. Be prepared to deal with more than [a] few incompetent administrators."

Does this sound familiar? I've been living it, and countless others have and are living it, in Mexico and elsewhere. Sad, sad, sad.
Eiramaras

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. They seem very competent and helpful on the phone and over email, but I know that doesn't mean much. From my research, the pay seems pretty average. What salary would you expect from a position like this?
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiramaras wrote:
Thanks for the information. They seem very competent and helpful on the phone and over email, but I know that doesn't mean much. From my research, the pay seems pretty average. What salary would you expect from a position like this?

If they are offering less than 20,00 pesos / month PLUS housing, I personally wouldn't take it.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just sent me a packet with salary at 9500 salary, 4000 rent, 2500 for insurance. Doesn't seem that great to me. I haven't responded to their request to schedule an interview, but I doubt I will bother.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:
They just sent me a packet with salary at 9500 salary, 4000 rent, 2500 for insurance. Doesn't seem that great to me. I haven't responded to their request to schedule an interview, but I doubt I will bother.

Depends on where it is. In a small town that would be a LOT of money, you could probably save a few hundred dollars a month. In a city, you could live on it but that is about it.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is discussing a specific school.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:

Right and I was addressing that, I don´t know where the school is located, but if it is in a smaller town that would be decent wages, especially with a 400 dollar housing allowance.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
bdbarnett1 wrote:

Right and I was addressing that, I don´t know where the school is located, but if it is in a smaller town that would be decent wages, especially with a 400 dollar housing allowance.

It's in Tuxtla Gutierrez.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdbarnett1 wrote:

Which is the largest city in Chiapas and a large city for South Eastern Mexico, but rather a small town on the national scale.

Rather sweaty too.
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
bdbarnett1 wrote:

Which is the largest city in Chiapas and a large city for South Eastern Mexico, but rather a small town on the national scale.

Rather sweaty too.

Yeah, I have been there - not a lot to offer, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: