Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Africa Reply with quote

In the years building up to Independence and for a few years after that, there were jobs for outsiders teaching in Africa.
I was privileged to teach in Zambia for some years just after Independence and in Nigeria after the Civil War.

Those days are long gone and there are now very few opportunities.

Watch out for scams in recruitment and be aware that most African States have their own citizens who can teach English !
Janiny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not be asking about north Africa specifically, but it could be that in other parts of Africa there is the same issue as this
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108381
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of EFL teaching scams I was recently offered a lucrative teaching gig in the Cote De Voire... The catch was I had to wire them $1,500 for the offer...before they would send my e air ticket. I asked them why...and they said the money (which would be refundable upon arrival) would serve as a guarantee that I would report to work. I politely told them NO WAY! Shocked
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some will fall for this.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Some will fall for this.

Only needs one in a thousand to make the scam worthwhile...emails cost nothing.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
scot47 wrote:
Some will fall for this.

Only needs one in a thousand to make the scam worthwhile...emails cost nothing.

If scammers would just take a few extra minutes to run grammar and spell check on their e-mails, they could increase their take ten fold or more.
jakemh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:

If scammers would just take a few extra minutes to run grammar and spell check on their e-mails, they could increase their take ten fold or more.

I've read that they write poorly on purpose and don't worry about sounding suspicious because they only want the most gullible people to respond. Otherwise they waste their time writing back to people who aren't going to be gullible enough to give them money in the end.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakemh wrote:
I've read that they write poorly on purpose and don't worry about sounding suspicious because they only want the most gullible people to respond. Otherwise they waste their time writing back to people who aren't going to be gullible enough to give them money in the end.

Sounds like a plausible explanation . . .
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cote d'Ivoire ? Inability to get the country name right could be an indication that you have been targeted by a scammer.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Cote d'Ivoire ? Inability to get the country name right could be an indication that you have been targeted by a scammer.

Or just an underqualified clerical worker. About ten years ago, while staying in a Boston hotel, I asked the desk clerk to mapquest directions for me to a location on Massachusetts Avenue. Her response, "Sure. How do you spell Massachusetts?" After spelling it for her, I asked in my best non-insulting voice, "So did you just move here from out of state." Her reply, "No, I grew up here." Right!!! If you're going to live somewhere, you should at least be able to spell it correctly.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
scot47 wrote:

Or just an underqualified clerical worker. About ten years ago, while staying in a Boston hotel, I asked the desk clerk to mapquest directions for me to a location on Massachusetts Avenue. Her response, "Sure. How do you spell Massachusetts?" After spelling it for her, I asked in my best non-insulting voice, "So did you just move here from out of state." Her reply, "No, I grew up here." Right!!! If you're going to live somewhere, you should at least be able to spell it correctly.

Wow! Let's hear it for single-syllable state names! An easy move from Boston, but I suppose the silent 'e' could confuse her. Laughing

ISSAKAB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: teaching in Africa Reply with quote

I've taught English in Togo. There is work in non English speaking African countries, relatively well paid by local standards. However, you need to be in the country first and prepared to spend time not just sending out CVs but going, in person, to language schools, international schools, private universities and so on. You will usually, but not always, need to 'dash' or bribe security guards and secretaries to get you to the person you want to see. Around one euro is enough.
After two nerve racking months living off savings I had a phone call one morning and found myself with a fortnights supply teaching which turned in to a proper contract.
You'll need a proper PGCE or equivalent for most international schools, however tho lower end of the market won't be too fussy about qualifications and experience.

PM me if you want any more information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: