Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mid-life career change to ESL teacher in Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
noble

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you found work in Queretaro. I am very curious about how you're going to go about getting a work visa. Since the law stipulates that one must leave the country and apply for the work visa from one's own country, I'm wondering how you and your employer are going to work this out. If you find a good lawyer who can get a legitimate work visa from inside México, I'd love to get her or his name. Thanks. Good luck with the process and the new job!
Jultime

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no problem getting the work visa since my employer will do all the required paperwork. I don't have to go back to Canada to complete it, I just have to leave the country and go to the embassy or consulate. Its really not a difficult process. Its not possible to complete the work visa within Mexico.
Jultime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good on the job front here in Queretaro. I'm very happy with the city and the school where I work. I'm really enjoying teaching adults. I'm still looking for an ideal place to live. I want a garden....and a dog, I want to rent the dog, I don't want to own it. So I may be moving into a house that's currently being renovated with bathrooms in each of the bedrooms. The family has moved out and wants to rent the rooms to foreigners. I haven't seen it yet but another teacher has told me that there is a garden and possibly a dog.

Oh and the school I work for is hiring native TEFL qualified teachers, preferably already living in Mexico. Send me a pm if you're interested.
DebMer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are really coming together for you! Very Happy
Jultime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from Houston after completing my Mexican work visa.

My employer completed the work visa application. Around 4 weeks later I received a letter authorizing me to work in Mexico for one year. I then booked an appointment with the Mexican consulate in Houston. You do not have to go to your home country to process the work visa. The consulate in Houston was excellent, very helpful and polite. She asked me a few questions, did the processing, stuck the visa in my passport and off I went. I guess I was there around 2 hours.

My next step to is to go to immigration here in Mexico to complete the process.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!
Congratulations!

Did you get any sense if any nationality could do it in Houston? Or do Canadians get that concession?
Jultime

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Great!
Congratulations!

Did you get any sense if any nationality could do it in Houston? Or do Canadians get that concession?

Good question...and I don't have an answer.

But the woman at the consulate pretty well knew that I was already working in Mexico and was there just to complete the paperwork. She guided me through completing the documentation telling me that "we're pretending that I still reside in Canada" I just played along with her. So I'm guessing that anyone can go to the Houston consulate to process their work visa. Like I said, I highly recommend the Houston consulate.
Lotteloes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jultime,
Thank you for your very inspiring journey. It really gave me the encouragement to pursue my dream as well.
I am happy to read that you are doing fine.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Great!
Congratulations!

Wasn't there a British woman on this forum some time back that said she couldn't do it in the US?

I'd be interested in hearing the answer to this too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the consulate in Dallas? They sometimes have a mobile consulate in my hometown but I think scheduling that would be a bit tricky Smile
reddevil79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, I had to travel from Mexico to a Mexican embassy abroad back in February to start my work visa process and did quite a bit of research into this. Being a British national, I looked into the possibility of going to a Mexican embassy in the US or Canada, and after doing a ton of research, I came to the conclusion that it was too risky and travelled back to the UK and started the work visa process at the embassy in London.

In the research that I did, a common theme was that non-US citizens were having trouble when visiting Mexican embassies in the US, and were being asked to provide extra documentation to prove their legal status in the US which caused considerable delays to the Mexican work visa application. There was a British woman who posted here around 18 months ago I think, and seem to have a hellish time at Mexican embassies in the US and ended up going to Guatemala to get the work visa done. I didn’t look into the option of going to Canada as plane tickets were very expensive at that time.

The Mexican embassy in London was helpful and replied to all my queries via email promptly. Once back in London, I had to visit the embassy twice in person, and I spent no more than 15 minutes there in total during both visits, a very simple procedure.

Things change quickly though and I did all this nearly six months ago. I would suggest contacting the embassies directly to see what they say, but to be honest, not all their answers filled me with confidence. If an applicant has to travel abroad to process their visa, then it’s very expensive (plane tickets, hotels, food, etc.) and you want to be absolutely sure that the embassy you’re going to will process the work visa.
Jultime

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, the Houston Mexican consulate was very helpful in answering my questions. I did not ask specifically if I could go there for the visa, but they did see my documents before I went and didn't say NO. They do look in your passport to make sure that you have the US Immigration entry stamp.

So I guess one could contact the Houston consulate and ask if the visa can be processed there.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for more news on the rental dog Laughing
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to other nationalities, the requirements for Canadians entering the neighboring US (and vice versa) are less restrictive.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks reddevil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: