Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I break into the ESL market in Spain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worldtraveler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: How do I break into the ESL market in Spain? Reply with quote

I have been researching Spain as a possible location to begin my TEFL career. Everybody I talk to says the following in regard to teaching positions in Spain:

1.) Unless you have an EU passport there is little chance of getting a work visa.

2.) The pay is not very good.

3.) The Spanish are primarily desiring to learn British English (acccent, etc.).

Is this true?
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Yes

2.) Yes

3.) Yes

(...are primarily desiring... Shocked Confused )
Russell Hadd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector has given you straight answers but there are ways in:

1) Find an EU citizen to marry. This is getting easier with the expansion of the club.

2) Now that you are newly married you won't care to begin with. When the honeymoon period is over send the other half out to work to supplement your pocket money.

3) I beleive so old chap.
Eric Paice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes - Doesn't matter though with very few exceptions most academies will hire you.

2) No - pay is OK. Academy work 13/14 Euros and hour. Private - I've charged 18/20 an hour and got away with it.

3) No - Not true at all, usually there is no preference.

I'm non-EU (USA), worked in Madrid for 18 months, had a good time, never been hassled by the authorities.

Want more info.? Drop me line.

Eric
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: But... Reply with quote

If you do work illegally, you'll have no employment rights.
CharlesTESOL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of Americans teaching English in Spain. Most do not have visas, but some, like me, do! I have been here for nearly 5 years and I rarely have heard of students having a preference for British over American accents. On the occasions when one does hear a preference, it is as likely to be for an American accent as it is for a British one. If it matters at all to a student, it will have to do with whether or not the person works for (or wants to work for) an American or British company OR has mostly American or British clients OR whether the person wants to study in the USA or the UK, etc. For this reason many schools like to have a variety of accents on staff. �Buena suerte!

Last edited by CharlesTESOL on Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:23 am; edited 3 times in total
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I break into the ESL market in Spain? Reply with quote

Worldtraveler wrote:
I have been researching Spain as a possible location to begin my TEFL career. Everybody I talk to says the following in regard to teaching positions in Spain:

1.) Unless you have an EU passport there is little chance of getting a work visa.

2.) The pay is not very good.

3.) The Spanish are primarily desiring to learn British English (acccent, etc.).

Is this true?

1. True, especially in Spain, where there are so many EU teachers available. Why would a company spend so much extra time and money hiring a North American?

2. Depends, but usually true. Unless you get a good gig or also teach private lessons

3. not necessarily true, all accents are desired by students
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Hadd wrote:

1) Find an EU citizen to marry. This is getting easier with the expansion of the club.

Doesn't work for two reasons. Firstly the spouse work permit is country specific. If you marry a Pole you'll have the right to work in Poland, you won't have the right to work in Spain. Secondly Spain still requires work permits for citizens from all the new EU states, so your spouse will need to get a work permit to work in Spain and so will you.
Alex Shulgin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CharlesTESOL wrote:
There are lots of Americans teaching English in Spain. Most do not have visas, but some, like me, do!

Does the fact that you earn your living from training teachers have any effect on the advice that you give? I wonder. Could it be that you want to encourage prospective teachers of all nationalities to come to Spain so you have more students at your teacher training school?
CharlesTESOL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course what I do for a living influences what I say here. Another major influence is my own experience as a non-EU citizen who had a desire to live and work in Spain and who, like many others I have come to know over the years, found a way to do it. Cheers!

Donde hay voluntad, hay una manera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: