Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Much Do I Have Pay The Local School Officials For A Job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How Much Should a Foreign Teacher Pay in Bribes For a Job in a Public School?
1000 to 5000 (A Citizen's Vote in Taipei)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
5000 to 10,000 (Hit and Run, Stay Out of Jail Card)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10,000 to 30,000 (Tip to Your Doctor for Not Killing You)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
30,000 to 50,000 (Generic Fee For Favors From Civil Servants)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
50,000 to 100,000 ( Generic Fee for Favors From Elected Officials)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
100,000 to 200,000 ( Appointment to a Civil Service Position)
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

EOD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: How Much Do I Have Pay The Local School Officials For A Job? Reply with quote

I have been told by many of my friends in the public school system here in Taiwan, that a bribe of 120,00Nt is required for an appointment as a public school teacher. I want to work in the public school system here in Taiwan. I am a foreigner but very qualified. I have several international teaching certificates. How much do I pay and to whom?
Mr. Green

Last edited by EOD on Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Okami

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Paying for hell? Reply with quote

But do you get the same pay with benefits? I would take $40,000NT/month if it included the savings acct with a guaranteed 18% interest rate, plus all the other goodies. For this a bribe of $50,000 would be ok with me as long as it came with a 3 year contract.

Paying for it though? Hmmm? Paying for what? As the offer stands now, I wouldn't pay for it. They'd have to sweeten that pot a little for me to take a pay cut and walk into a school of angry Taiwanese teachers with classes of 30-50 students versus my average class of 12 students with Chinese teachers who like me a lot. For that I'd pay the normal $1000-5000NT for the medical and ARC, which I would consider a bribe.

I checked about paying for a public teacher's job and my gf says it happens. I was a bit shocked. I'll have to start asking around about this. I work with licensed teachers at my kindergarten. I'll have to get them to share some secrets with me. I never imagined that people would pay for such a job. Is it really that secure once your hired? I mean what's stopping them from hiring you for only one year and then just firing you for some bogus reason?

CYA
Okami
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: You Have Already Paid Reply with quote

Most English teachers in Taiwan have to pay a kickback to the manger for a job. It comes in the form of work deposits, brokerage fees, misappropriated tax withholdings or a little creative accounting to deduct the fee directly from a teacher's pay, without them even knowing. Add to that the fact that few teachers are paid for extra curricular activities, the school pays for the teachers to be there, but the teachers never get the pay.
English teachers are a cash cow for nearly everybody involved. Often the foreign teacher will have little to no pay left, after everyone else gets their portion.
This is Taiwan, what did you expect?
The average pay "deduction" is half of a teacher's monthly pay to one months pay. It is usually withheld from the first months pay or more discreetly in the form of tax withholdings that never get submitted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: