Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Jobs in Qatar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candykisk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Summer Jobs in Qatar? Reply with quote

I am interested in applying for a summer teaching position in Qatar or the Middle East with either children or adults. Anyone know if any place is hiring? Or have you come across job openings lately?

Last edited by candykisk on Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Jobs in Qatar? Reply with quote

There are no such teaching camps in Qatar for adults or children---many leave the country to escape the hot summers anyway. Besides, you need to hold a k-12 teaching license/certification from your home country and relevant experience in order to teach children in Qatar.
tmac-100

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the entire GCC is the same as NS mentioned: too hot and folks leave - that means students too. Thus not any organized classroom-type teaching. Not a part of the culture, either.

When qualified teachers also leave THAT is a BIG clue for summer work... I understand the HCT in the UAE had courses in the summer for their students, BUT attendance was paltry and now has been very limited in offerings. Maybe even no longer -- friends who did summer school teaching around 2009-10 for HCT no longer mention doing that kind of work. But that was/is the UAE.

I believe Qatar is no different. OTOH, Good Luck in searching for work in +40C weather Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Gulf countries empty out in the summer when everyone who can, leaves. The few places that offer summer classes will local hire. It is very expensive for employers to bring in teachers from overseas, so they local hire... and have no trouble finding those people who are stuck there and might want to earn a bit of extra money.

VS
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Council. You'll do three summer schools (including Ramadan).

Veiledsentiments wrote:
It is very expensive for employers to bring in teachers from overseas, so they local hire... and have no trouble finding those people who are stuck there and might want to earn a bit of extra money.

The BC will fly you in and fly you home for short-term contracts. And, no, they can't rely on local people, because as you yourself said, people tend to leave for the summer.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer Jobs in Qatar? Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Besides, you need to hold a k-12 teaching license/certification from your home country and relevant experience in order to teach children in Qatar.

CELTA and two years of experience are all that's required at the BC.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Summer Jobs in Qatar? Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
CELTA and two years of experience are all that's required at the BC.

Good info. Unfortunately, the OP is American and doesn't have a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay. Americans can work for the BC, but without a cert, that's the end of that.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman CAS do remedial summer schoold but the teachers who are already there are given first bite at the cherry so it's mainly the Omanis who do it.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
Americans can work for the BC.

The BC's bulletin for those 7 summer teaching openings states: "Obtaining visas for non-British passport holders can be difficult. Please ask us if you have any concerns."

Anyway, I suspect most of those hired will be former BC instructors who are already in Qatar or the region.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange. The BC in Qatar, much like the BC everywhere, contains a lot of non-British teaching staff.

Quote:
Anyway, I suspect most of those hired will be former BC instructors who are already in Qatar or the region.

That would be incorrect. Most get flown in from their home countries and they tend not to have worked for the BC previously, although some have.
candykisk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks psychecdelicacy for your optimism, I really appreciate that.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BC normally only hires "other nationalities" if they can't get someone with a UK passport... which is rarely a problem in the Gulf.

VS
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time the BC would prefer to hire Britons is if they are essentially forced to by visa regulations. Otherwise, they will hire the most qualified person. It would be very strange and hypocritical if that were not the case, given the BC's policy on equality, diversity and inclusion.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but that made me laugh... the BC admin in most of the countries where I encountered them tended to be a snobbish lot... an opinion shared by my British friends, many of whom could regale you with tales of their strange and hypocritical ways. It was nearly unheard of to encounter a non Brit teaching for them. And the few that were had usually just completed their in-house CELTA program.

VS
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: