Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Rates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Private lessons in Playa Del Carmen Reply with quote

NorthofAmerica wrote:
I just had a Spanish class with a Russian and unsurprisingly afterwards he said he needed to learn English as well as Spanish for his job here, a freelance photographer.

I initially said 150/hr. to myself but not sure what to quote him. I could use some side money and he is a good enough guy that I don't mind spending time with him (let's face it we have all had privates we personally dislike) but I am not a charitable org'n here.

What's reasonable? I have 8+ years exp'n and have taught for 200rmb an hour in China, like 400+ Mexican. Obviously I know that is ridiculous here but I am not just a "I know English and like to talk to people" teacher. This is my first approach for a private, I have been working online here. What do qualified ESL teachers make per hour, seriously I have no idea.

Outlined a lesson plan for him and he was on board, told him I would contact him in a few days for a level check and first lesson.

I am charging my one private student in Queretaro 120 pesos per hour, and we meet for two 90-minute sessions per week. She seems happy with the rate; she would pay quite a bit more to get a private teacher through a language school.

For the D.F., where everything costs more, 150 pesos per hour sounds about right.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Private lessons in Playa Del Carmen Reply with quote

NorthofAmerica wrote:

What's reasonable? I have 8+ years exp'n and have taught for 200rmb an hour in China, like 400+ Mexican. Obviously I know that is ridiculous here but I am not just a "I know English and like to talk to people" teacher. This is my first approach for a private, I have been working online here. What do qualified ESL teachers make per hour, seriously I have no idea.

Outlined a lesson plan for him and he was on board, told him I would contact him in a few days for a level check and first lesson.

150 isn´t bad, but I wouldn´t go any lower than that in Mexico City. When I lived in DF I charged anywhere from 150 to 250 for private classes. Based partly on what I thought the person could/would pay and partly on how much I enjoyed the class. I gave some classes to a waiter for 50 pesos an hour because he needed to improve his pronunciation for his job and that was what he could afford. Also, he was a nice kid. On the high end, I charged 250 an hour, two hour minimum for the kid of a government official, who sent a car for me every Saturday so the kid could learn to speak English with no accent - he was already in a school where most instruction was in English. But those don´t come along every day, and his father had been my student before that so I suppose he wanted someone he felt secure having in his home.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Private lessons in Playa Del Carmen Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
150 isn´t bad, but I wouldn´t go any lower than that in Mexico City. When I lived in DF I charged anywhere from 150 to 250 for private classes.

Given that it has been several years since you lived in DF, could we safely assume that the range you're quoting could be pushed up a bit higher nowadays?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Private lessons in Playa Del Carmen Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:

Given that it has been several years since you lived in DF, could we safely assume that the range you're quoting could be pushed up a bit higher nowadays?

One would hope. But I still see a lot of jobs advertised in the 120 to 150 range. But salaries don´t rise much, or quickly. Personally, if it was a student I enjoyed 150 would be OK. To be honest, I usually quote a higher rate if it is someone I really don´t want to teach, haha. Most of the time that results in me not doing the class, but a couple of times they have accepted the offer and I am stuck with them for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: