Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Malaysia (Particularly in KL or Penang)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacannella

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Teaching in Malaysia (Particularly in KL or Penang) Reply with quote

I am a 49 year old American English teacher with an MA TESOL, CELTA, 20 years teaching experience (mostly at the tertiary level), but NO US/UK public school certification. What is the job market like in Malaysia in general for someone with my background and age? What sort of salary can I expect to earn? Will my age be a major road block to employment in Malaysia?
adaruby

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Malaysia (Particularly in KL or Penang) Reply with quote

jacannella wrote:
I am a 49 year old American English teacher with an MA TESOL, CELTA, 20 years teaching experience (mostly at the tertiary level), but NO US/UK public school certification. What is the job market like in Malaysia in general for someone with my background and age? What sort of salary can I expect to earn? Will my age be a major road block to employment in Malaysia?

With your quals and experience you should be looking at some of the better positions.

The British Council operates language centres in Penang and KL (there are plenty of non-UK nationals working for the BC in Malaysia) and one or two of the universities in and around KL occasionally recruit: http://www.nottingham.edu.my/Jobs/Joblistings/Academic/Teaching-Fellow-of-Centre-for-English-Language-Education-(CELE).aspx

There are also a number of projects with the MOE at the moment and these are run by the British Council, SMR and Brighton with varying degrees of success. Top tier international schools would probably be out of reach without home country accreditation, but you might have some luck further down the ladder.

Expect to earn between RM7-10k a month together with a 12% contribution to an Employee Provident Fund which pays about 6% annually. There will also be added benefits such as flights, accommodation on arrival and medical insurance depending on who you work for. The holiday entitlement is usually 7 or 8 weeks plus public holidays.

Your age shouldn't be a problem- I know of people much older than you working in Malaysia. You do have to be over 27 though Smile
mdickun83

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spoke of international schools in your post (which was very informative!). I am certified and looking at a school in KL that is offering 30k USD. They are paying 9000USD for housing. I'm wondering if I'd be able to save about 20k/ year at the job. I know that's ambitious for savings but, for reference, in Korea I lived on less than 500 bucks/ month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: