Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding summer work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristinrae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Finding summer work Reply with quote

Im planning to spend my summer in Spain learning Spanish. Since I'll only be in Spain 8-10 weeks I don't need a visa or anything, but I do want to find a part-time summer job. I have an MBA (but no TEFL certification) so do you think I can find "under the table" English teaching at a school or summer camp? Where should I start looking? Would Madrid be my best option or should I look elsewhere? I could also work in graphic design, social media, web design, customer service (cafes, receptionist work, etc), and/or marketing but I wouldn't be legal. Would you all agree I should stick with looking for an English teaching job? Please help! I need advice! Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could also work in graphic design, social media, web design, customer service (cafes, receptionist work, etc), and/or marketing but I wouldn't be legal.

You'd need very good Spanish and local connections to get any of these jobs. Further, maybe you are aware that the Spanish economy is very weak and locals are hurting for work. Highly unlikely you would be hired over a local for some short-term gig.

English is really the only option. You might find a summer camp.
kristinrae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A summer camp would be great. Do you know where I could start looking?
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

English is really the only option. You might find a summer camp

Just be aware that you'll be competing with applicants who actually are English teachers (with experience and/or training) and who have limited job prospects in the summer. Some camps do require actual teaching along with the usual camp counselor/activities duties as they will provide lessons/classes along with the camp activities. Others simply offer an English immersion camp experience, where you would function as a camp counselor, and need no teaching qualifications. You would have a better chance in this second version.

But how will spending the summer in an English immersion camp help you with your Spanish? Camp jobs are most often 24/7 with very limited opportunities to leave the camp. One day a week off might be possible, but not as likely as a half day a week. And some don't even offer that. So I don't really see how that would help you with your Spanish.

If you plan to take an intensive Spanish language course, you will not be able to work in a camp, unless you can find a part-time job in one. (Unlikely, perhaps not impossible.) As for teaching English in a school: less than unlikely. As already noted, there are plenty of qualified English teachers in Spain who are underemployed in the summer.

Sorry if that sounds discouraging!

Last edited by AGoodStory on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kristinrae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I was hoping for a day camp, not an over-night all day thing. I see now that I will be best off just focusing on my Spanish classes. Thanks everyone.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristinrae, I just came across this summer camp list, and remembered this thread. Scroll down to page 20 for Spain. Just be aware that lists like this can become outdated very quickly, and I have no idea how current these entries might be.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/67369/file-584044351-pdf/job-search-guidance/ita-summer-camp-and-program-finder.pdf?t=1394814790000#page20

kristinrae

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll check this out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: