Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

freelance pay figures for Germany
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashartist1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Berlin Reply with quote

I am finishing my M.B.A. and have plans to move to Berlin to teach Business English. Now, I have followed the discussion for time and I realize that it will extremely difficult for me to live and work in Berlin as an English teacher. But guess what, I'm not trying to be rich, I'm not trying to gain material possessions I am trying to enjoy all the facades this world offers us. I do speak German and I am fairly comfortable in my ability to communicate with students. I do not believe that Germans are rude or cold, but rather warm welcoming people. The best thing about German culture is their inability to sugar-coat issues, their straight forward communication style allows for a higher level of understanding. I have found that Germans from the DDR are extremely giving people and would be willing to do almost anything to help those in need. While I am expecting a rough time in fidning a way to make everything work in Berlin, and I am also considering a move to Istanbul instead because it might be a little easier to survive, but either way, it is your outlook that determines you success.
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germans from the DDR?! Es hei�t jetzt dunkel Deutschland! Smile
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have an atlas with the FRD and GDR though that was printed in 1985. I don't know if the GDR is still around, not sure about the USSR either. Can anyone enighten me?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Contacts Reply with quote

I can give you some of my contacts in SED and Stasi. They will be very useful to you in the GDR.

It is also helpful if you can bring with you your party card.
The Overcoat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, sir. I am planning a factfinding mission to the DDR for all those who still think it exists.
Susan K

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: An honest salary Reply with quote

Have put some thoughts on the "Work tax-free in Germany" thread. They are not of relevance to people prepared to work free-lance and pocket the lot without becoming part of the society they live in ... but might attract the odd idealist with their feet on the ground:)
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: An honest salary Reply with quote

Susan K wrote:
They are not of relevance to people prepared to work free-lance and pocket the lot without becoming part of the society they live in ... but might attract the odd idealist with their feet on the ground:)

Know what, you're right, but I still read some of your post anyway.

I never paid any tax and my feet were soon 35000 feet off the ground en route to a far far better job than you've got.

See what it's like to read some arrogant ..........? Maybe some freelance teachers in Germany had dependants and no one to supplement their teaching income, e.g. partners, husbands, etc. Given the choice between supporting my dependents or Schroeder's four million arbeitslos getting 60% of their previous salaries, well what would you do?
Susan K

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Social fabric Reply with quote

If the salary here had to support a family, there would be entitlement to Kindergeld, Wohnungsgeld, etc., at least if you were an EU citizen. To my shame, I don't know if this applies to people from elsewhere in the world, though refugees who can get here receive much (rather patronising but well-meaning) help.

I think it boils down to whether you can identify with this society or not, and I never imagined it would be a German I would fall in love with long years ago and become a customer of Amnesty International before I became a member - but since we returned here in the mid 90's it is often immensely moving to be part of this society as it works it way out of the infrastructure collapse which accompanied the fall of the Wall.

Are you against decent unemployment benefits? I know they may be enviable but although I've started a small business (to my own great surprise - it's like finding a baby on the doorstep that I had to take in and look after as best I could) and earn an hourly rate less than anyone I or my husband employs, I don't begrudge others their safer way of life. The people who do get my goat are those in big business earning far more than anybody should!

Must get on with less philosophical things, but again thanks to those who have written on this thread - lots of food for thought!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: