Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on where to live!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Advice on where to live! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I originally put this in the general discussion group, and somebody suggested I post this here.

I am looking for some advice on where I should make my next port of call.

A little bit about myself, I am an Australian, mid 30s, I have a BA, a masters in Journalism and I am about 2 months away from a masters in tesol. I have about 10 years experience in Japan, Korea, Brasil, Italy, Vietnam and in China. My last job has been for about 3 years at a uni in China. I have a Celta.

I am looking for a place I can stay long term, pays well (enough to consider the place a home and not be scraping by), has holidays to travel, teaching adults (preferably a uni), tropical and near beaches. I am also considering doing further study, so I need a position that will allow me to do that. I know that is a tall order, however I don't expect all of those things! That is just an ideal situation.

So, does anybody have any ideas? Any advice is very much appreciated.

I am already ruling out China, I have a decent position here, but it is time for a change. I do not particularly care which continent I am on.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a 'no' for the UAE and Qatar, where you'd need several years of relevant experience gained after your MA TESOL, but definitely a 'yes' for both Saudi Arabia and Oman, although being near a beach is contingent upon which city you end up working in.

Timing is everything. The majority of the better (direct-hire) employers in the region will have completed their hiring for the upcoming academic year around the time you graduate but may have a few openings around the beginning of 2016. However, contracting companies tend to staff positions for university and government contracts throughout the year (see the ads on the Cafe's job board). You'll need to have your diploma in hand at the time of application.

*Be aware that the governments of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait do not recognize university degrees that entailed any online coursework. This information will get confirmed with your university registrar.
Andros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you nomad soul.

I am willing to wait another year, therefore Oman (which was recommended a few times on the general discussion website) could be an option. I am looking long term, and my current position is nod bad, I am just looking for better.

However I am unsure about Tati or Hawthorne. I found my current position by directly talking to a university, is that possible in Oman or must we go through a recruiter?

What are some people's opinions of those 2 recruiters? Or working at a Uni on Oman in general?

I have read in the Oman forum that people complain of students complaining about teachers that give them low grades due to non-attendance etc. Also many hours spent desk warming.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some universities in Oman that hire directly. Sultan Qaboos Uni is considered the best, but they tend to only recruit at TESOL Arabia.

Anyway, I suggest you post your questions over on the Oman forum; you'll get a lot more responses than on this general forum.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some advantages to starting with a recruiter in Oman as they can make the settling in easier and in my experience are more supportive than direct hire. I worked for Hawthorn and later transferred to the MOHE. Hawthorn pay a lot less but provide furnished accommodation close to your work. The MOHE pay more but provide pitiful support and took 5 months to start paying salary the year I transferred. They also require a lot more paperwork. The students are generally nice enough as long as you don't expect them to work. Oman is the 'soft' Gulf state, more liberal than most but less well paying than the others. I would personally recommend staring with a recruiter and if you like the country transfer after a year to direct hire, that way you have time to work out the system.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
That would be a 'no' for the UAE and Qatar, where you'd need several years of relevant experience gained after your MA TESOL, but definitely a 'yes' for both Saudi Arabia and Oman, although being near a beach is contingent upon which city you end up working in.

Timing is everything. The majority of the better (direct-hire) employers in the region will have completed their hiring for the upcoming academic year around the time you graduate but may have a few openings around the beginning of 2016. However, contracting companies tend to staff positions for university and government contracts throughout the year (see the ads on the Cafe's job board). You'll need to have your diploma in hand at the time of application.

*Be aware that the governments of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, and Kuwait do not recognize university degrees that entailed any online coursework. This information will get confirmed with your university registrar.

I know of a guy in Saudi who has an online only PhD...so they do seem to accept online degrees somehow. And I'm fairly sure I've come across people with even no relevant qualifications teaching in Saudi!

Back to what the OP said - I'd strongly avoid Saudi Arabia, it's not worth the money. Bahrain, UAE, Qatar and Oman are definitely more livable. Kuwait would be like Saudi Arabia but with women driving!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamajorba wrote:
I know of a guy in Saudi who has an online only PhD...so they do seem to accept online degrees somehow. And I'm fairly sure I've come across people with even no relevant qualifications teaching in Saudi!

That doesn't mean that his PhD was his qualifying degree for the job nor that he has an employment visa rather than a business visit visa.

It seems you're employed with a contracting company. However, not all of them tend to only hire inexperienced warm bodies. And that's definitely not what employers want when recruiting teachers as direct hires.
hash

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am looking for a place I can stay long term"

If this is your primary goal, I don't see how you can even be considering the Middle East, especially the Gulf region, as your next port of call. 10 years from now this part of the world will have become unrecognizable from what it is today. Are you sure you want to be part of that turmoil that's already underway? Because,willy nilly, you will be part of it if you're living in the area.

From what you've said so far, I'd completely rule out the Gulf area for you.

A couple of people suggested "Oman" for you as a "laid-back place", but you immediately down-played that possibility saying:

"I have read in the Oman forum that people complain of students complaining about teachers that give them low grades due to non-attendance etc. Also many hours spent desk warming."

If that's the kind of flimsy criticism you are using for a place NOT to go to, I'm astonished that you're in the teaching profession at all. That "complaining" scenario is not only present in Oman....it's present throughout the Gulf......and throughout the USA and no doubt Australia.

Bottom line: If a relatively high income is what you're (truly) looking for (and everything else is secondary), then by all means, come to the Gulf. In every other respect, you'd have to rule out the entire region. The only reason to come to the Gulf is the moola.......there is absolutely no other justifiable reason to spend time here (despite hyena-like protestations to the contrary). And.....you'd have to be prepared to "move out" at a moment's notice.

A "home"?? A place where you can plan "long-term"?? I don't think so. 20 years ago, maybe. But not anymore nor for the forseeable future.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Gamajorba wrote:

That doesn't mean that his PhD was his qualifying degree for the job nor that he has an employment visa rather than a business visit visa.

It seems you're employed with a contracting company. However, not all of them tend to only hire inexperienced warm bodies. And that's definitely not what employers want when recruiting teachers as direct hires.

I do believe he had the option of a business visa or an Iqama, and opted for the visa option. But yes, you're right, it's a contracting company I work for, but I've seen other companies do the same as well. And not necessarily contractors either :/

As for the PhD thing - yeah, you're darn right, it wasn't his qualification for the job, as it was in one of the most unrelated things to EFL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: