Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prospects of teaching IT (ESP) in Germany?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarrasque

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Prospects of teaching IT (ESP) in Germany? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just wondering what the likelihood of potential IT teaching jobs might be? I will complete my undergrad in November in an IT-related area, and was wondering how likely/unlikely one's prospects could potentially be for this area.

I was speaking to a rep from the BMWi at a technology exhibition yesterday in Sydney (CeBIT, if wondering), and they mentioned there's about 40000 programming-related jobs vacant in Germany, but couldn't give any info about IT teaching positions (different industry, most likely), so thought I might see if someone currently in Germany may have an idea.

For the record: 26yo Aussie, non-EU passport. I'm well aware of the non-EU passport no chance statement, and the Working Holiday Visa idea as well; was merely wondering about the particular area of teaching, and even possible qualification requirements.

Thanks in advance.
JN

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know about IT-teaching jobs here in Germany, but my guess is you'd have to be fluent in German. Jobs teaching IT English would probably be non-existent, as most, if not all, people in this field, have no problem with computer terms.
You probably would also have to have a lot of experience in IT before teaching it and have the appropriate work permit.

Maybe an International school would be an option, if you have an IT-teaching degree and some experience teaching, after you finish your degree, but I don't really have experience in that area either.
Tarrasque

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense, yea. I wasn't sure what the prospects were for that specialization compared to general ESL for non-EU folk, but the fluency in German would certainly be an obvious requirement.

I was pondering an international school or potentially a technical college, but wasn't sure whether it was even viable option to consider. That's why I figured it couldn't hurt to ask in case someone has possibly seen/heard anything regarding it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: