Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studyworld, Semerang, Indonesia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny Zee

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Studyworld, Semerang, Indonesia Reply with quote

This letter is to warn those who are considering a posistion at Studyworld in Semerang, Indonesia. I have recentlybeen dealing with the school and specifically the dircetor Paul McAdam. I was wary at the start of the process because of all the bad things I have heard about the school, Paul assured me that the school has changed and was under new management. I becam equite concerned when Mr. McAdam continually gave me false e-mails of teachers that he said were working at the school. He continually lied to me and changed his story. He asked me to submit a month worth of lesson plans after I was offered the job ( a ploy that seemd vary suspect). The lack of professionalism that he showed was astounding. I have taught for 3 years on 3 differnet continents and this school was by far the worstt I have ever dealt with, possibly the worst I ever heard of. So if you are planning to work for this school please be very careful, I wish I would of listened to the messages I have read, it would have saved me a lot of time and effort.

cheers;

Johnny
Chester

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:39 am    Post subject: Leson Plans Reply with quote

Hmmm. That sucks. I think if your boss wanted a whole lot of lesson plans, was so he or inexperienced employess could use them. Chalk it up to an unfortunate experience , mate
ps2_machine

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Studyworld, Semerang, Indonesia Reply with quote

Hmmmm. very strange. I thought this guy spoke English and he can easily make a plan for himself and his colleagues. It seems Studyworld has no books or aids or just too lazy to develop their program. Yep, you better look for something else. Smile Hope you find something soon.
Joachim

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Some people have no shame, do they Paul?
phis

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I said I would reserve judgement on the 'new Studyworld' unless I heard anything negative from current teachers (or in this case, about to be teachers).

It seems that nothing ever changes. I am really upset with you Paul, as I have told people that I believed you had turned things around, and have actually recommended that they give you and Studyworld a chance! As Joachim says: "Shame on you!"

I apologize to anyone who I might have put on the wrong track by suggesting that the new Studyworld might be different.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Studyworld, Semarang, Indonesia Reply with quote

Hello Fellow teachers...

My name is Paul McAdam and I am the Manager/Academic Coordinator of Studyworld Language School located in Semarang, Indonesia. I wanted to give my real name on this discussion forum, as I think that is important in the presentation of any information here.

Recently there has been a "submission' by a teacher regarding my actions in the "hiring" of this teacher. I wanted to set the record straight in relation to what happpened to "Johnny".

First off I want to agian appologize to Johnny for what happened and I do hope that he can "come to terms" with this situation... But I don't appreciate what he has said on this "Disscussion Forum"

The situation that he has alluded too, starts off as follows:

Last March(2004) I hired 2 women teachers who arrived and started work on May 1.

In late March I also decided that I needed a TOEFL and businees English teacher and "Johnny" fit the bill in those regards. I in fact did offer him a position, so I agree with that part of his submission here..... As we talked over email, I did notice quite a few spelling mistakes, so naturally I was concerned, I then asked him for 1 Lesson Plan, "not 1 month's worth" (give me a break...!). He then sent me 1 lesson plan, which to be honest I thought was good.

We continued to talk and I thought everything was going well until the "owner's group" of my school informed me that because I had already hired 2 teachers to start on May 1. the projected enrolment for that period was below what we had anticipated(because of highschool exams and holidays). additionally the Indonesian government had put a new tax on foreign teachers(US 1200) they asked if I could I ask the teacher to come in August when our enrollment will be alot higher. This is the "business side" of any school or even a company..... irregardless what country you are from.. In the end I had to accept the decision but I wasn't happy with it because I understood what was probably going to happen...

I immediately sent "Johnny" an email explainig the situation and asking him if he could come in August, (the only thing I could do as I don't own the school). I pretty much knew what his answer was going to be but I tried to "explain the situation" His reply was the negative comments he has made here and much more... I could/can understand that he is upset and disappointed, but to say the things he has here, has forced me to answer...

Futhermore I was quite upset by the remarks made on this forum by other "teachers"???, because I truly do back my teachers up 100+%. I have and will always do my best for my school, the teachers and staff that work there and of course.... the students that attend there!

For anyone wanting any "proof" of what I have said here, please don't hesitate to contact me. Additionally if you would like to talk to any of the 6 native teachers working here,(and more coming) I will gladly give your email addresses to them.

Finally, I would like to wish "Johnny" luck in finding a good school to work at.... I really don't have any negative feelings towards him, rather I understand.....

For future potential teachers who might think this will happen again to them, I will say this.. I haved "voiced" my disagreement to the "owner's group" to what happened to "Johnny" and have signed an agreement with the owners that says.... anyone they have approved to hire will be hired no matter the conditions...... I know the owners and trust their "word", hence the reason I am still here ........

Cheers....

Paul McAdam

Manager/Academic Coordinator - Studyworld

Semarang, Indonesia

62 24 841 8608

[email protected][/b]
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul mentions his concern about spelling errors in an applicant's e-mails.

Well, Paul, I'm much more concerned about both grammatical and spelling errors in your own response.

If you're an ESL teacher, shame on you. If you're not an ESL teacher but merely an administrator, stop being so critical of e-mail spelling. You're no role model in that regard!
Chester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Paul Reply with quote

Sounds like the management is not so good.
How much is the salary? Who is your boss. I wish to apply for your job.
johnny Zee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Paul Reply with quote

This is at least the 4th post I've read of Mr. Mcadam defending his school. When will it stop? Each post states that things have changed and that he's cleared up everything with the ownership. I hope he can get it together before its too late.

those not busy being born are busy dying------- bob dylan
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Studyworld-Semarang Reply with quote

Thanks for the constructive criticism in regards to my "spelling mistakes". I do appreciate it... Anyone can make mistakes even when they "proof read" several times before submitting something..

In regards to my writing about Studyworld, well actually it has been three times, this being the fourth. I believe in my school 100% and will continue to support it as I see fit.

I really do hope that "you" find a good job and are happy doing it. I also hope that "you" can forgive me for this incident as I am very sorry it happened.

Have a nice weekend....

Paul McAdam

Manager/Academic Coordinator - Studyworld

Semarang, Indonesia
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were not simply spelling errors, Paul. There were quite a few GRAMMATICAL errors. This is simply unacceptable for an ESL school administrator.

If you're going to bring up spelling errors in your applicants' e-mails, you need to be prepared to have your own e-mails carefully examined.
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Studyworld - Semarang Reply with quote

Fair enough comment.... Thanks for your imput.

Paul
ps2_machine

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Studyworld, Semerang, Indonesia Reply with quote

It looks like this is going way too far. A war of words which doesn't look like it will ever end.

Last edited by ps2_machine on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
surfingyogini

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got an update on these guys at Studyworld Semarang as they're advertising again and I'd love a job! Any info welcome, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: