Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange letter from EF
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109037

Just realised you are the person who dislikes everywhere. Miss negativity. Now I understand...

I'm not ashamed of that for one minute.

If a country wishes to pile up its garbage into hillocks all over the capital city, their prerogative. If a country wishes to allow it's air and water to become uninhabitable, their prerogative (for a time).

If I wish not to trade my employment for exorbitant amounts of money in those craptastic rundown ghettos, my prerogative. And yours.

Perhaps you were not aware that Azerbaijan's president Aliyev won first place for Most Corrupt Person Of The Year in 2013? Quite distinguishing, considering the queues of illustrious international competitors.

http://www.rferl.org/content/azerbaijan-ilham-aliyev-corruption-person-of-the-year/24814209.html
Deats

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't like corrupt countries and politicians... but you love Russia.

Ok. I understand now.
GotoRussia

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, strange musings indeed. Both Russia and China are such huge countries that generalizations are so flippant.

6 weeks is hardly enough time to make a real judgement on a place but expalletta girl seems to have made up her mind real fast.

I've lived and worked in both countries. They have their pros/cons like any other place. I have friends who are teaching in Shanghai, Wuhan, some for close to a decade. So they obviously have adapted well.

And Taiwan and Hong Kong are considered part of China yet distinct enough to have their own cultures within the "Chinese" umbrella. Many friends have carved out a great living there.

Could just be sour grapes with her contract, plus the added stress of being uprooted to a country she didn't care to go to. Money makes odd bedfellows.

Me, I like Russia more, culturally. As a place to live they both share the pitfalls of any developing large country.

Guess it wasn't her cup of tea.
снеговик

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foma87 wrote:

Anyway, I'm sure you could find a position in EF Russia if you emailed individual schools. Perhaps your experience with them will be better. There are many other chain schools, also. My bet is if you worked at it long enough, you'd easily be able to find a position for the next academic year.

Should I do that?—contact them as a random person? What would a school think of that?

I'm starting a CELTA course in a few weeks. After that I'll try applying again. I chose EF because they have schools in Kazan and Ufa area. Don't want o go to Moscow, unless I have to. I know way more people in the Ufa, Kazan, Samara area than in Moscow.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into EF in Piter and they told me they were trying to get rid of one of their staff members and needed a quick replacement. I know the head of recruitment in Russia as I taught her son. She said all decisions usually go through China. She was trying to make an exception as she knew me. In the end I didn't want the job, so don't know how it would have panned out with her getting approval from Shanghai.

Having said all this, what is there to lose in contacting a school direct? The worst thing that can happen is they say no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: