Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UIC Summer School or ISIS:What Are They Like?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: UIC Summer School or ISIS:What Are They Like? Reply with quote

I have been offered a 5 week summer school teaching job with UIC starting in July. They are part of the ISIS group of schools. They have summer schools in the south of England, but I haven't heard very much about them. Have any of you ever heard of them? What is it like to work there? What is the atnosphere like? What are the positive aspects? Do they have a good policy on discipline?
What are these summer schools like in terms of workload, stress, and job satisfaction? I have discovered that I am being asked to work 6 days per week which is more than I have usually been asked to do in past summer schools. I had never heard of the ISIS group before this year. But I get the impression things might be stressful there.
Salary: 300 pounds per week for residential teachers.
D3553

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with ISIS for a number of summers. (now known as Oxford International Education Group) I guess its the same with most summer schools in that your experience will depend on the management staff that have been assigned to your centre.

Over the years I've worked with them I have noticed things go downhill as they have expanded which is a shame. It used to be a smaller company where they valued their returning staff and you could even get to know some of the head office people quite well. It's not unheard of for managers to do runners in the middle of the night or to get a DoS that hasn't got a clue.

Larger centres are busy, stressful and impersonal. Smaller centres are a lot more organised and friendly. The smaller centres have less of a mix of nationality amongst the students, mostly Italian.

The 6 day week was a normal thing in all of my ISIS contracts and you'll most likely have to help with some evening activities a few times. Apologies I can't compare my experience with another summer school but I did enjoy my time with the company. Just be prepared for the unexpected and check your bank account on the pay dates as they can forget sometimes. Although a quick call to HQ sorts that out with no problems.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be an idea to change the name in the current climate.... Confused
CANDLES

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school and its name was there before thugs took over the name!
barabbas

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they changed their name a while back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: