Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bahrain Polytechnic Interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mashkif

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahrain Poly Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
I was contacted by an agency about the job in Bahrain Poly and they told me the money was between X ( I can't remember exactly) and 2500 pm. In my mind, I have the right qualifications and experience, and so I filled in the pre-screening questionnaire (which seems to just be for the agency), and said I would expect 2500. The agency emailed me the day after informing "to be honest, you won't get 2500 - only Delta qualified candidates will get this, would you reconsider?"

What annoys me is the agency making the decision, not the college itself. Okay maybe the college has a remit that if a candidate does not have X then blah blah blah. However, I think the agency should submit my application and see that the college say - the agency could say, "okay he does not have a Delta, but he has X, Y, Z."

The agency is there to get commission, so no submission = no comission, so why not try ?

Also, if they are having problems recruiting people then why are they being so fussy ? Or maybe they haven't a clue what they are looking for.

Things may have changed since my time there but back in the mid to late 2000s full university professors (rank, not just title) were scarcely making more than 2,000 plus accommodation allowance of up to 500.

The Polytechnic always did pay somewhat better, but--and especially for a non-direct hire--than amount seems very, very fishy.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
Well I was hoping my Applied Linguistics Masters would help my case. I'm sure I can get put forward for the job, but knowing that they wont accept me on 2500, I am unsure how low to go.

You have a couple of issues: 1) Your newly-minted MA in Applied Ling was completed via distance learning; and 2) you have minimal to no post-MA teaching experience.
nwtefl

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
nwtefl wrote:
Well I was hoping my Applied Linguistics Masters would help my case. I'm sure I can get put forward for the job, but knowing that they wont accept me on 2500, I am unsure how low to go.

You have a couple of issues: 1) Your newly-minted MA in Applied Ling was completed via distance learning; and 2) you have minimal to no post-MA teaching experience.

Well 1) I'm not aware of Bahrain puitting up barriers to AMD - we aren't talking Saudi or Qatar, and it wouldn't put me off from applying either and 2) If you had read the original post you would not have seen that I haven't actually been rejected - the agency asked me to re-think my salary range on the basis of me having no DELTA ! Not on the basis of post MA experience.

I have gained a lot of EAP/ESL experience in the U.K. prior to the Masters anyway - not having a Masters does not mean you have no relevant experience - many UK universities have pre-sessional courses which can run into working for them sessionally throughout the year. I'm doing a pre-sessonal at Keele in July, and I've worked for the University of Liverpool without a Masters. An MA can help you secure a salaried position in the U.K., but it isn't essential to getting a foot in the door.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have gained a lot of EAP/ESL experience in the U.K. prior to the Masters anyway - not having a Masters does not mean you have no relevant experience - many UK universities have pre-sessional courses which can run into working for them sessionally throughout the year.

Yes, it's not even recommended to start an MA degree without some experience. But what nomadsoul is pointing out is that many ME employers only count experience after the MA, whether that's right or wrong - it's simply the case. They can obviously afford to be picky, as so many people want to go there (for the money, obviously) these days. Competition is pretty stiff.

Even in western countries, the value of pre-MA experience is very often officially discounted if you are applying for university positions.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nwtefl wrote:
I'm not aware of Bahrain puitting up barriers to AMD - we aren't talking Saudi or Qatar.

You might confirm that with the recruiter --- whether foreign workers are exempt (which is doubtful).

From the Embassy of the Kingdom of Bahrain in the US:
Quote:
Student should avoid registration in online classes or universities per the directives of the Ministry of Education; online degrees and classes will not be recognized.
Source: http://www.mofa.gov.bh/Default.aspx?tabid=7743

Also:
Quote:
A 2010 government decree blocks recognition of degrees earned through virtually all forms of distance education–programs run by institutions outside the country and aimed chiefly at working adults.
Source: "Distance Education—Banned in Bahrain," http://www.al-fanarmedia.org/2015/03/distance-education-banned-in-bahrain/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Bahrain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: