Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can inexperienced teachers find work mid-term ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peewee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Can inexperienced teachers find work mid-term ?? Reply with quote

Hi there,
I am interested in your opinions on the ease of obtaining work in Tainan, given that I have very little experience teaching english, and am turning up when all the main schools have hired for the beginning of the March semester.
I am heading over to Taiwan end of Feb, to be based in Tainan, as my partner has a 2 year contract (not teaching). Our last contract was in Thailand so we are used to living in Asia.
I meet all the govt requirements, (have the degree etc), and although I have undertaken considerable teaching/tutoring work in science and maths type subjects, have only a small amount of experience teaching english in a volunteer program in New Zealand for refugees.
My concern is that I can only get a 60 day visa from NZ and will I be able to find decent legal work in this time? I have read some of these discussion topics and it seems that work is beginning to dry up somewhat, especially for those of us who are only just starting out in this career path.
Also will it be harder to find work as I would rather work in a (lower paid?) well run legal school, than have some of the hassles I have read about with schools with high turnovers - my partner's company supplies accomodation so my costs are not as high, and the last thing I want is to be deported when he has most of his contract remaining.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice
stgeorge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your talk of "semesters" suggests you want a job in a public school, which is a definite no-no for you because the Taiwanese government is recruiting "real" English teachers from abroad at the moment.

Private cram schools, kindies etc. recruit all year round so chill out if that is all you want.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: