Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying for University positions in Ecuador

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Applying for University positions in Ecuador Reply with quote

Hi, all,
Does anyone know if one can apply for university positions online in Ecuador or is it similar to other LA countries where you have to be on the ground? I know there is stiff competition at this level but I do have the credentials and experience. Also, what would be the best times of the academic year to apply? I already know from other threads not to even try around Easter or Christmas.

Many thanks for any information.

Regards,
PS
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be here. By all means send a CV or resume, if you can find an email address to send it to, but don't expect a response. If they don't want to see you in person, there is something wrong.

If you have post graduate qualifications, and you can teach without using Spanish, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work in Quito or Guayaquil.

Recruitment is already well under way for August/September in the Sierra, so you really need to get here ASAP. The coast are mid-year right now, and I don't know when their mid semester break is. Best to check calendars on university websites if you are interested in Guayaquil.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to be on the ground and to network. In Latin America a lot of jobs come through personal recommendation. By all means apply and see what comes up, though!
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Applying for University Positions in Ecuador Reply with quote

Thank you much for the information.

I earned two Master's degrees - Applied Linguistics and a terminal MA in TESOL along with 25 years of experience in university IEP, college IEP as well as middle/high school public school. I have also updated my teaching license - just in case - as GP (grad professional) to teach ESOL K-12. I'm only interested in teaching part-time at university level, though, as I'm nearing retirement. Still, I can't imagine life without teaching and learning from my students.

Thank you again for your feedback. I'm hoping to "semi"retire to Cuenca, Ecuador and will go this summer to explore opportunities.

Best regards,
PS
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been discussed here before, it's very difficult to make a decent living teaching English in Cuenca. There isn't a huge amount of work, especially at university level, and there is a huge amount of competition for jobs. So jobs are scarce and wages are low. If you will be retiring with a pension, and don't need the income, than you can join the ranks of semi-volunteers who continue to teach for enjoyment. But if you need to earn additional income, it will be a struggle in Cuenca.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Applying for University Positions in Ecuador Reply with quote

Ineffable thx for all the info. I am aware of the competition and shortage of lucrative positions in Cuenca. I was contemplating part-time teaching as a semi-retired individual possibly exploring the Retirement Visa option. Although there seem to be more positions available in Quito, I've read that the cost of living there is significant more than Cuenca.

I found a fantastic ex-pat forum on Ecuador that provides a wealth of information on various issues and can post inquiries to obtain an up-to-date scoop from ex-pats on the ground.

I shall heed your advice on the Investor Visa which now requires a $25,000 deposit!

Regards,
PS
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living costs are comparable in Quito and Cuenca especially for rents, which can be higher in Cuenca. Visa wise you should also consider the professional visa. The only requirement is to have a degree (bachelors or higher).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: