Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dubai, Abu Dhabi on 2015 list of 35 most expensive cities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Dubai, Abu Dhabi on 2015 list of 35 most expensive cities Reply with quote

Dubai, Abu Dhabi on list of 35 ‘most expensive cities’
Saudi Gazette | 18 June 2015
Source: http://www.saudigazette.com.sa/index.cfm?method=home.regcon&contentid=20150618247655

DUBAI — Dubai and Abu Dhabi have been ranked as the 23rd and 33rd most expensive cities to live in (respectively) according to Mercer’s 2015 Cost of Living Survey. The two cities have experienced a significant jump compared to 2014, with Dubai soaring 44 places from last year’s position at 67 and Abu Dhabi going up 35 places 68th in 2014.

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the most expensive cities in the Middle East for expatriates, as Jeddah (151) continues to be the least expensive city in the region despite rising 24 places.

Significant increase in the cost of living ranking is seen among almost all major Middle East cities, both Manama (91) and Doha (99) moved up 59 places, Amman (54) moved up 49 places, Riyadh (71) moved up 40 places, Kuwait City (117) moved up 30 places, and Beirut (44), the most expensive Middle Eastern city after Dubai and Abu Dhabi, moved up 19 places.

“Many currencies in the Middle East are pegged to the US dollar, which pushed the cities up in the ranking. Global currency fluctuations was a key factor influencing the significant changes observed in the overall raking in 2015,” said Nuno Gomes, Information Solutions leader for ME at Mercer. “Steep increase for expatriate rental accommodations, particularly in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, has also contributed to the increase of the cities in the ranking,” added Gomes.

Although these increases in the ranking do not have a direct impact on employees currently working and living in the UAE and other countries in the region, the cost for multinationals to move staff to Middle East countries has greatly increased over the last year, potentially reducing the attractiveness of the region for such assignments. However, in the opposite direction, for regionally based companies looking to send employees overseas on work assignments, these have become potentially much more affordable. “GCC based organizations may take this as an opportunity to increase their international assignment activity and provide greater career experiences to high potential employees,” Gomes noted.

(End of article)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Steep increase for expatriate rental accommodations, particularly in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, has also contributed to the increase of the cities in the ranking,” added Gomes.

Which explains why the Higher Colleges have stopped providing their teachers with nice flats... and started giving them a housing allowance which will likely not provide an equivalent place now... and will never rise with the inflation in the rents... forcing their employees to dip into salary.

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Flats and school fees are the killers. This 6 months or 12 months up front is a real shag.

Loads of things are pretty cheap but if I had kids, I don't think I'd come due to financial considerations. My flat will be about 8k a month.

I think youngish, childless teacher couples could make a killing here. For the oil gigs with the option of living on camp and weekending in fun places, I'd say the same.

However, 1 earner plus spouse and kids=little saving.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single earner with multiple dependants has been bad news for some time - in UAE and elsewhere in the Gulf. Only couples I know who saved were both working.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: