Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egypt (Cairo) or Oman?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johann Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Egypt (Cairo) or Oman? Reply with quote

For those who have spent time in both places, where would you go? If you had the choice to live in either country and work at roughly equivalent jobs, which would you choose, and why? I need to make a decision, pronto!

Thanks in advance...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Equivalent jobs? I would be surprised if you could even find such. I lived in worked in both, but long ago. Both employers, The American University in Cairo and Sultan Qaboos University are still the best employers in each country.

Are you thinking of university level? Or international schools? Or language schools?

Living in Egypt is a challenge... everything is a challenge. Power cuts are a part of everyday life - nearly everywhere. It is a third world country with everything that entails. The pollution is through the roof (or the sides of the lungs) in Cairo. Most teachers are paid in Egyptian pounds which can't be spent anywhere else... and it is often difficult to change it to $ or Euros.

Oman is very modern in comparison... clean and organized... quiet and quite civilized. Most things work most of the time. (smaller villages can be more of a challenge) The money is based on the dollar and easily converted.

That said, I loved both places. It depends on your age. If you are young and a high salary isn't an issue, Egypt is much more fun. But if you need to save money or pay off loans, Oman is probably a better choice.

But... it also depends on the job.

VS
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the current climate, I would say Oman wins hands down.

The FCO is warning all UK travellers to Egypt of the high threat of terrorism throughout the country. They recommend all but essential travel to most areas should be limited.

If you are female, you should be aware that during city demonstrations, 100 women reported rapes in June/July 2013.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have settled down a lot since Sisi has come to power... he is making Mubarak look like a Liberal. Thus far, any attacks have been directed towards the police... and their stations. (other than one foiled attempt in Luxor) The few demonstrations that happen are on Fridays so one would want to stay away from the mosques.

Other than that, most of Egypt struggles along as it always has... it is not the Egypt that it was when I lived there, but it also not the Egypt of a couple years ago that the media is still concentrating on.

VS
Enkates

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. How can they be equivalent jobs? You may as well as to choose between Hokaido and Somalialand. Confused If money isn't an issue, sure Egypt would be the more interesting choice whith its history and culture. However, O man doesn't sound half bad. I dunno. I'm not even sure why I am writing this.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend Oman. Use some time and savings to visit Egypt and get a feel of what it's like. I have a special place in my heart for Egypt, I absolutely loved it there, but it's not the place you go for money or working conditions.
Johann Canuck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: egypt/oman Reply with quote

In a real sense the jobs I'm considering are equivalent: equal pay and equal classroom time. One is in a crazy mega-city, Cairo, and the other in a tiny place in Northern Oman. I'm wondering, partly, if the richness and dynamicism of Cairo compensates for the drawbacks. It's not wholly alien to me, as I have been there before, but not for many years. Thanks for all your replies and tell me more if you have the inclination
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: