Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new teacher/ first time teaching abroad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: new teacher/ first time teaching abroad Reply with quote

I've got premove jitters. I've accepted a job at a school that I've since seen some negative stuff about on this forum, but at this point I feel committed. I guess I'm just looking for some encouraging words and any advice, especially about stuff I shouldn't forget to bring.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scat,

Why don't you tell us who you have accepted the job with. As a first time abroad teacher, we may be able to help you to avoid a major mistake.

Some places that get bad press here might be fine for you - or they may have improved since they were complained about.

There are worse things that one can do than back out of the wrong job. If you fear posting the name on the board, send me a private message.

VS
byromaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: new teacher/ first time teaching abroad Reply with quote

scat wrote:
I've got premove jitters. I've accepted a job at a school that I've since seen some negative stuff about on this forum, but at this point I feel committed. I guess I'm just looking for some encouraging words and any advice, especially about stuff I shouldn't forget to bring.

Hi Scat,

I assume you're coming to UAE since you put your messsage here?

I'd say go for it. You won't know unless you try and your regret for deciding not to come here may be more of a burden to bear than a few pre-trip jitters in the long run. I had nine days to get ready to come here and I have not regreted my decision one bit, to get up off my culturally comfortable sofa and fly off to work in one of the loveliest, most unique places on earth - the UAE.
Sheikhdown

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: you're mad! Reply with quote

You're absolutely MAD if it is Abu Dhabi University!!! You have been warned mate! Bring about 3,000USD to get yourself back when they strand you over there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Klem

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:45 am    Post subject: Advice for the first time jitters Reply with quote

Scat,

You're absolutely right about having jitters about where you are going, it's a shit of a place.

Then again, with a name like yours..hmmmm

Seriously, you'll probably do fine. A lot of the checks and balances we take for granted in the first world simply don't exist here, or worse, exist only in artificial form giving you a false sense of security. Be careful of investing energy thinking you're making a difference, or indeed you being there makes a difference...to anyone.

Expect to be used and occassionaly abused by an unfeeling institutional culture that will readily kick you out at a moments notice. Don't expect any help from the wider Arab culture either. You are jkust another expendible foreigner. The old saying, 'you're only as good as your last kick' is alive and well, so don't put in any more effort than you have to. Keep your head down and dont stand out in any sense. Someone in power or influence (from the students, to peers to managers) always takes offence, and then you'll be gone.

Be careful with your spending so you can watch the bank balance grow to a point where you can't stand the place any longer, and then leave the place and don't look back.

It's just a means to an end

Klem
Tuttifruitti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the sunnier side of the fence, many people enjoy working here, don't have major problems at work (though this depends on where you work), have friends of many nationalities, experience new cultures and travel more than they would at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: