Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree vs Diploma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel.Ro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Degree vs Diploma Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

As I said in my first post I'll be looking to teach in China within the next 4-6 months. I've been speaking with my girlfriend who is considering coming with me for a year. The problem is she has a two-year college diploma in office administration and has been working as an administrative assistant over the last couple of years.

Based on what I've seen on the forums, there are people with no post-secondary education at all that land teaching gigs - but she would like to do everything by the book, especially considering it's a foreign country. So if we're speaking strictly from a legal perspective, would a college diploma and work experience count for anything?

I know the question of having a degree vs no degree has been addressed before but does any post secondary education have value? Or is it basically a full 4 year degree or nothing?

Thank you.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach International have an online foundation ESL course.
I did their part class/part online certificate and found it helpful.
The grammar section is a chore and I don't think I've ever been asked a grammar question while teaching.
A 2 teacher deal would be attractive to schools and your GFs experience could go down well at a vocational (3-year) college.
I think she does need some kind of enhancement to her present quals and the online cert seems the cheapest route.
Angel.Ro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that meet the legal requirement for the Z visa?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not in a Tier One BJ school but that's why mentioned a vocational.
I think there is only so much you can find out on Dave's ahead of making actual applications.
When you have offers come back on site and ask if anyone else has worked for the offeror school.
Don't apply until GF has an 'expected completion date' for the online.
'I'm thinking of doing this or that' won't cut it.
It's getting a bit tight for Sept start but still 'doable'.
Angel.Ro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks. I wasn't sure because of the difference in terminology between the Canadian education system and the US. In the states colleges and universities both issue "degrees", whereas in Canada a university issues a "degree" and a college awards a "diploma". So when you see on school websites that say a college education is required, I wasn't sure if that also includes colleges as defined in Canada as well, or strictly a 4-year degree.

Thanks for the help.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they want you and understand that you and GF are a package they will extend their definitions.
If GF's experience is in an industry like customs brokerage, accommodation/travel or food service or whatever a keen vocational will do what's needed.
It also reduces their accommodation/utilities load having two people in one apt.
kimberleygd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the trouble I'm having. I have a Level 3 Early Childhood Education from the now defunct Nova Scotia Teachers College (which is the equivalent now to a Level 2 ECE plus Bachelors Degree here) but because I don't have a "degree" my options are limited.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimberleygd wrote:
This is the trouble I'm having. I have a Level 3 Early Childhood Education from the now defunct Nova Scotia Teachers College (which is the equivalent now to a Level 2 ECE plus Bachelors Degree here) but because I don't have a "degree" my options are limited.

Is it possible for you to enroll in another university and complete the required coursework toward a full BA?
kimberleygd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think so, just a bummer i have to ( I also have 7 years experience) I actually could get a pretty good paying job at a nursery which surprisingly pay pretty well. I should have looked into this a little more as I really wanted to come to China, but I just accepted a position in Mexico teaching grade 1.( they didn't care about the difference) but its a lot less money.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimberleygd wrote:
I should have looked into this a little more as I really wanted to come to China, but I just accepted a position in Mexico teaching grade 1.( they didn't care about the difference) but its a lot less money.

Unfortunately, you'll likely run into the same issue with other countries.

Good luck in Mexico and keep us posted.
kimberleygd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ! I feel committed to them now, but I am regretting not going the nursery route in China, I noticed one position that paid 18000 cny in Shenzen. Maybe next year. ( I am 54 so I feel time is pretty important at this stage). Thanks for your reply nomad soul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: