Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF Bandung, Solo, Yogya
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winmar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, someone to back up what I've been saying about EF Bandung for the last year or so! Smile

Glad to hear you've enjoyed yourself mate....I thought you would. Are you at Banda or Cipaganti? Good to see the salary's gone up! It was 5m when I started, then 5.5m when I left for a first year. You started in January last year, didn't you? I'd finished my contract then, but was still doing emergency teaching there to raise some dosh. Smile Was one of your contracts a six-month one or something? Which teachers are working there now? Is Nigel still there? Actually you might want to reply to some of these questions in a private message. Smile

Thanks for the EF Bdg link - I'll check it from time to time. How long before the other links on it are active? It was funny seeing a couple of my old students on it. Smile

I'm starting to yearn for life in Bandung again actually. Might consider doing the irresponsible thing and leave my stable public service position late next year, if EF will have me back. Wink I've been imagining playing tennis and swimming before work, and picking up cheap heavy metal cassettes again. Certainly would beat my current cold bike ride into the city at 8:40am, but would have to miss out on the odd Swedish death metal tour we get here. My Sundanese wife might enjoy being with her family again though.

Anyway, time to stop rambling and dreaming, and go to bed. Hi to all at EF!
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gugelhopf,

"Tuan-tuan and puan-puan" is pure Malaysian.

In Indonesian, you can find sort of an equivalent in the following:

"Ibu-ibu dan bapak-bapak sekalian."
gugelhupf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hardly surprising AsiaT - I learned Bahasa in Johor. Thanks for the translation. I've already guessed that "bule" is the equivalent of "matsalleh" and I'll have to harden up my words ending in -a and roll my R's like a true Javanese!
AsiaTraveller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll also have to learn how to make your Ds and Ts retroflex like a true Javanese can -- even in your English!
everybody_loves_chandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: EF Money Reply with quote

willy wrote:
JUST TO SET THINGS RIGHT, YOU SAID YOUR MAKING 10,000,000. A MONTH? AND YOU�RE WORKING AT EF? I HAVE NEVER OF ANY ONE GETTING MORE THAN 7,000,000.

Sure. As usual every year with EF entitiles you to a pay rise buts its still too low. If you are concerned with money, DoS'ing is the way to go. The DoS in Palembang gets more than 7. Willy, you have to remember that a lot of these individual franchises are up for negotiation. Especially if your proven u can do the job well. Its not inconceivable to ask for 12 mill to dos the EF Palembang franchise. Though if I was to negotiate a 3rd contract in Palembang, I would ask to be in a fixed US or NZ currency. The way the rupiah is going, its the only way to stay ahead since most of us have student loans, car payments, mortages and so on.

With the high turn over of staff, its easier to negotiate for 2nd or 3rd contacts. At the end of the day, they know we can find something else better, so its in their interests to keep us around as long as possible. Remember, with the bules, EF would become like any other local language school (no more 800,000 a month fees).

DoC
guruengerish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: it depends... Reply with quote

I think you need also to look at what else is offered, over and above the salary.

EF Kebon Jeruk supplied a 2 bedroom unit, a maid who washed and ironed and cleaned twice a week, paid the rates, the garbage and the local security.

It was a pretty fair deal.

However, other EF schools pay nothing more than the base salary, will not help with housing or anything, so you need to read the contract quite carefully, and see what they will and won't provide.

When EF Semarang advertised about four years ago, they offered around Rp2.5 million. I wrote and said that was a very fair weekly salary. Wink

Of course, it was a monthly rate. The same for their other schools in Central Java and DIY. It rose by Rp600.000 a couple of years ago, and I believe another incredible Rp200.000 per month has been added to that. No housing, etc. Promised increases for experience are not honoured. Sorry if I keep getting on my soapbox here about this, but newbies need to be warned. Crying or Very sad
GuruStip

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right...

If you're coming out to Indo you have to realise that there are massive variations everywhere you go. It is possible to live the idyllic life and be easy, or you can end up with the most stressful year of your life...
Obviously, you have to be adapable - middle-aged sex pests should stay put- jakarta is alraedy full to capacity. Also, the stuents are noisy, fun and demanding, so be ready to activate your imagination. If you're boring, go to Germany.
Be careful what you apply for - you just might get it - don't overstretch the first time, or you'll get your ring stretched. If you have a skill, flaunt it, but be wary that most schools are not really schools, more money-makers, and they'll hire a first-timer over more expensive experienced teachers.
It's a tough market here, but the culture and the life are more than worth the effort, so stay on it!!!
Mr_Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: EF Bandung Email Reply with quote

Does anyone have the email for EF Bandung? Please send to my email at [email protected]

kindest Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: