Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying out for NET is it worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Preciouscookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Trying out for NET is it worth it? Reply with quote

Hello!

I am a female teacher working in Japan at the moment. The yen is killing me. I really would like to make a bit more than I am at the moment. I'm weighing my options. I would like to apply to NET.

I work in Japan and have a decent job. I get paid accommodation (2 bedroom apartment in the city )as well as a company car (I don't pay for it). I also get a bonus every 6 months (depending how many students I sign up for the school years). Roughly in all I make about ~USD3000 a month. This job in itself is rare in Japan because of this I need to think if leaving Japan would be better or if I should stay in this position.

Also, I heard you can make more in Hong Kong. I researched a bit already, but would it be worth leaving my position in Japan for one in Hong Kong?

What are your experiences working in Hong Kong? How is the teaching environment like and how is the pay? Is housing expensive? Do you enjoy Hong Kong? (I have travelled there for a week a couple years ago and really enjoyed it, but living can be a different story.)

I have 4 years teaching experience. 2 years in Japan, 1 year in South Korea and 1 year teaching at a University in the states.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Linguistics a credential in TEFL and Spanish.

Thank you in advance !
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USD $3,000 / month is not that difficult to make here if you have some qualifications and experience. In fact it is possible to make much much more. However, you have to factor in the cost of accommodation and general living costs which are quite high. From that USD $3,000 starting point, accommodation and general living expenses could easily eat up $2,000 / month or more. Of course, there are ways to reduce your costs (flat sharing, eating in local restaurants, shopping in wet markets etc etc) but you would have to factor in the lifestyle you would be getting here vs what you currently have in Japan.

I love living here but then again I earn significantly more than you do so I can enjoy the best of what Hong Kong has to offer. If you are scraping by, living in a shoebox and having to watch each and every dollar, then it's not so much fun.
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go for it, but bear in mind a few of things.

1. You will need to pay for your own accommodation, which is expensive and not exactly value for money. No help with travelling either.

2. If you don't have a PGCE/PGDE/QTS then you'll be stuck on the bottom points of the pay scale, which might not be worth it in the long run.

3. Last point, although they seem to be advertising for NETs everywhere, in reality there are only a handful of vacancies and probably about twenty applicants per school, so don't build your hopes up. Apply, nonetheless. You have nothing to lose.

Good luck!
Jmbf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general I agree with TeacherTim. Unless you are entitled to a dependency visa / RTL / ROA then your teaching options are limited with only a TEFL certificate.

For those who can work here without restriction, female tutors are in great demand right now, they can charge over USD 70 / hr.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: