Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

www.exlang.ru - any further experiences?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is Sasha, I've been to quite a few of the smaller places in person AS WELL! In fact, in some cases, I just walked in on the street, told them I was looking for a job and was interviewed there and then! Very Happy

But the search continues still Smile
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brunouno wrote:

If you did take this job, I would change the contract where it states the maximum weekly hours, and that unused hours cannot be rolled over to following weeks. Language Stink does this, so I would have to imagine that it's common practice.

I would beware giving blanket statements about LL.

There are roughly 14 LLs in Moscow and only 3 of them are official.
Every other LL is a franchise and are free to offer their own salary terms and conditions.
From my experience, the official LLs are actually the worst, with the lowest salaries, highest teaching hours and most exploitative conditions.

If you apply for a LL job, you really need to apply for several different LL jobs, since they are all very different from one another. Most are just independent schools which simply want to use the established branding that LL provides (which they pay through the nose to use).

While I don't doubt for a second that what you say is true to some LLs, the ones I have had contact with don't do that.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Nope. Teachers are being trained up to do the job. They should already know how to do it, but many don't. Hence the training. Should be happy they don't have to pay for it. Like they did Celta, and would have to for IELTS examiner training in most places...

No sympathy for lazy teachers who do not take professional development seriously. Off east to the camps with them!

If the seminars are required, then employees should be paid. If they are optional, then it is understood that they are unpaid.

If teachers are not qualified or skilled enough to teach, then it is the fault of the hiring manager/company for giving them a job in the first place.
Brunouno

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Schofield wrote:
Brunouno wrote:

If you did take this job, I would change the contract where it states the maximum weekly hours, and that unused hours cannot be rolled over to following weeks. Language Stink does this, so I would have to imagine that it's common practice.

I would beware giving blanket statements about LL.

There are roughly 14 LLs in Moscow and only 3 of them are official.
Every other LL is a franchise and are free to offer their own salary terms and conditions.
From my experience, the official LLs are actually the worst, with the lowest salaries, highest teaching hours and most exploitative conditions.

If you apply for a LL job, you really need to apply for several different LL jobs, since they are all very different from one another. Most are just independent schools which simply want to use the established branding that LL provides (which they pay through the nose to use).

While I don't doubt for a second that what you say is true to some LLs, the ones I have had contact with don't do that.

That's not true at all. It's the other way around. Most of them are part of the chain. I worked at several of the centres in Moscow, and the interns, which make up a huge percentage of the overall number of teachers for Language Stink, all have the exact same contracts and are thrown into many centres in and around Moscow. I think I have only ever seen two or three centres advertise independently for teachers. For the most part, it's the central school's responsibility to supply staff for the centres.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Sashadroogie wrote:
Nope. Teachers are being trained up to do the job. They should already know how to do it, but many don't. Hence the training. Should be happy they don't have to pay for it. Like they did Celta, and would have to for IELTS examiner training in most places...

No sympathy for lazy teachers who do not take professional development seriously. Off east to the camps with them!

If the seminars are required, then employees should be paid. If they are optional, then it is understood that they are unpaid.

If teachers are not qualified or skilled enough to teach, then it is the fault of the hiring manager/company for giving them a job in the first place.

Why? No extra payment for lesson planning, or being punctual. So why pay staff for their free in-house training? Next it will be suggested that schools should pay teachers extra for the privilege of observing their lessons...

McSchools take on majority first time teachers. It is not a 'fault' of hiring committees. That is their business model. Raw teachers, low salary, extra training in seminars. They are still learning on the job - as we all had to at one point.

Really - what other profession gets paid to be trained? I do not know of any. Perhaps that is a gap in my knowledge: I'll be grateful if anybody can clarify that point.

In the meantime, be grateful that seminars and training are provided for free Evil or Very Mad
Deats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my non-teaching jobs if I was sent to seminars or whatever, then this counted towards my hours. I had a 9-5 job and all the things I went to fell within this time frame. So you were paid for attending.

In this situation I think new teachers gain some valuable experience for free, so shouldn't complain. Also, in many contracts there are 'office hours', 'attend extra events' etc. It's listed as something you must do and won't be paid for. It's normal, I think, in the world of EFL.
maqueen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be warned about this job.

First contacted March 30th. Couldn't get a Skype interview arranged for 2 weeks.

Was told of $1 = 32p. Okay... housing provided no sweat.

Sent a link to expat DOT ru evening before leaving to look for housing. Thought there was mistake and for someone else because I explicitly said three (3) times prior I wanted provided housing benefit.

Arrived July 12th. Waited over two hours on a sidewalk with all my things to get in wrong taxi, taken to wrong place and finally to a hostel that supposedly had a reservation already arranged, but didn't.

Had to go late night to exchange cash and instructed to get sim.

Next day taken to an flat (without things) to look at. Couldn't really understand why I was going to look at a flat when I already said I'd take provided, until myself and new roommate/person's place it was, were standing on sidewalk with principle and told to 'work things out' i.e. rent, deposits, etc.

Later told 'We don't provide accommodation, but $500 stipend. That is how we do it.' Of course, at $1:32p and net 18 days after a prior month worked.

Was called up/contacted and commanded I had to be somewhere at 17:30 when it was already after 4pm, not at home and out doing some personal errands.

Endless mindless emails, calls and sms from office. Ordered around and yelled at on phone. Calls/sms usually when you were in class so you're paying to make return call. Paying for own transport.

First full week was up everyday 6 am and not getting home until 9 pm. Overtime and I didn't even want. Plus, a late notice Friday I had a Sunday class. 2.5 to 3.5 hours everyday of walk, stand on Metro and walk to clients. With huge amounts of dead time between where you were basically forced to hangout in a coffee shop spending meager salary just earned wasting time. At least it is summer right now so a park bench is an alternative...

Knackered!

To top it off there was a new advert on Dave's for 15,000 more rubles per month and less hours required not 10 days after my arrival (basically my housing I was paying, utilities, transport card, phone, etc.). And infamous 'OR' housing provided in advert.

And they aren't registering people upon arrival either. 'It isn't a big deal anymore!'

I finished a couple of days ago. Less than 3 weeks here and walking away from the salary I did 'earn'.

Zero benefits, working like a dog and subsidizing a business.

Just another job in ESL paradise.

I'd trust a used car salesman more than this guy!...
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maqueen, thanks for such valuable feedback! At least now others will be aware of such positions.

Funny, the guy who initially gave me the offer to begin with emailed me without solicitation this week asking if I was interested in working for the company, despite telling him everything that is wrong with what they do!
maqueen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really desperate but won't pay. Hence the need to be deceptive.

He (Ron Nathan) will straight up ignore what you say or try to talk around it.

I put it like this: I questioned and gave the benefit for every doubt, but every doubt just turned into less benefit for me.

Even tried to reasonably compromise after realizing what was going on and seeing I was totally being taken a piss of after a week here, with new offer out there and within contract agreed to, but was totally rebuffed. Basically an ultimatum yea or nay. Idiot still wanted to play tough negotiator though I explicitly said all or nothing or I walk.

To top it off... I just got an email from former student wishing me well from my accident, being in hospital and asking if I needed anything! Shocked
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is, what a clown. My last response to him involved telling him something like his reputation is poor and is known online for it as well!

maqueen wrote:

To top it off... I just got an email from former student wishing me well from my accident, being in hospital and asking if I needed anything! Shocked

Wow... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: