Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL Certification for NET scheme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitterbuffalo25

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: TESOL Certification for NET scheme Reply with quote

Hello -

Sorry for any redundancies in this question, but I am currently teaching EFL in Tokyo and am hoping to get a better job and relocate to Hong Kkng sometime next year. I have about 3.5 years of experience and Bachelor's degree (in Art, not education related.) Therefore, I realize I need some further certification for the best teaching jobs in Hong Kong (or potentially Shanghai).

The problem is that the two holy grails of teaching certification are not available to me. CELTA is only offered on the other side of the country and Trinity TESOL isn't open for part-time registration until January, which is when I'd like to start applying for jobs.

So, with that in mind, I'm looking for the best option available that allows me to do coursework and theory online, but includes a practicuum that I could do either here or elsewhere for a week/couple weekends. After a lot of research, I came across two: ONTESOL and InTESOL, respectively. Both offer 220-250 hour courses with supervised teacher training included, and both cost about the equivalent of $800 - $900 USD. Perfectly reasonable. But, are they legit?

My ideal goal is to apply for the HK NET scheme in January, but a job with comparable benefits and environment would be ok too, as I know NET is very competitive. Some of the international schools in Shanghai interest me as well.

So, with ALL of this in mind, has anyone here had experience with either certification program? And aside from the NET scheme, what should I look into, job-wise? Having experience, I want a working environment better than the bare minimum at the point, and HK seems to be the next place I want to me.

I want to know your experiences regarding certification and jobs...please share? If you'd like to comment or PM me with a certification program that is actually legit (so many are crap), that would be wonderful. Both INTESOL Worldwide and OnTESOL assure me that these qualifications are sufficient for the NET scheme, but, well, we're talking about sales people here. I want to learn but I need to keep my full time teaching job in Tokyo while I do it.

Any advice would be amazing. Sorry for the long post! Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at "NET acceptance?" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=110545), which suggests you'd need more than a TEFL cert for those positions.
kpjf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you say the NET programme is very competitive; and, to be realistic with a BA and teaching experience and nothing else I doubt you'd get on it. Sorry, just being realistic here. Even if you pass the interview you have the next step of finding a school. It's not like other programmes where you pass the interview then they place you somewhere - wouldn't that be more logical? Passing the interview just seems to be the first hurdle.

I hear it's just too damn competitive and you'd probably really need a BA and teaching license or MA in TESOL. But even with a BA and MA in TESOL, I don't know if that would be enough with so few places available for the many candidates that apply each year.

The HK NET programme is so competitive because the salary starts off at about 25,000 HKD plus 19,000 HKD for accommodation whereas other EFL jobs there would be maybe only 20-25,000 HKD. Bit of a difference living on 25,000HKD and living on 40,000+! I want to get into the HK NET programme myself but am currently trying to improve my CV before applying.

From my investigation 9/10 jobs there (outside of NET) are for kids, but if you're happy teaching kids, it's a possibility. You just need to take into consideration that (from looking online at least) for a good one person flat we're talking 15,000HKD, or even sharing 7,000HKD so accommodation is the killer here taking a good chunk of your salary. It seems from what you write you're looking a step up, but this sounds like a step down, however, if HK really interests you I'm sure you could work your way up.

bitterbuffalo25 wrote:

Some of the international schools in Shanghai interest me as well.

I take it you mean the phoney ones? Or do you have a teaching license?
bitterbuffalo25

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kpjf -

Thank you for the info. In regard to the international schools in Shanghai, I was looking into places like Concordia and SLS. They didn't mention that a teaching certificate was required for the position, so I'm really just in the beginning stages of research there.

I am open to obtaining a PGDE/PGCE once in HK, but according to EDB's site, a TESOL and experience are some of the lower requirements for the PNET program. I'm happy to give it a shot after I complete my certificate, however slim my chances are.

Alternately, I will apply directly to schools and hope for a nice employment package to help me out with the exorbitant housing costs in HK. What are you doing, if I may ask, to improve your CV? Just looking for the experience of others in HK here.

My main purpose of my post was to verify the legitimacy of programs like ONTESOL, which seem to be sufficient programs with reputable accreditation and an added 20-hour practicum, which seems to be necessary. Perhaps obtaining the 250-hour certification will boost my chances ever so slightly for a good position. Anyone have experience with ONTESOL?
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the quality of the ONTESOL program, but I can confirm that no matter the quality of the TEFL program you take (even CELTA or Trinity), it won't put you in the running for the EDB NET scheme. Technically, those qualifications are enough, but in reality the competition is too intense.

Your realistic options are to work in a language centre or kindergarten (salary usually between 15 - 25K / month) while continuing your studies. As others have mentioned, your quality of life will probably take a hit on that salary as the cost of living in HK is high. Depending on your current salary / working conditions in Tokyo, it might make more sense for you to continue working there for a while.

I do know of teachers who make decent money outside of the EDB NET scheme, but they all have the right to work freely here which you wouldn't have (I'm assuming).
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bitterbuffalo25,

Sorry I cannot help you with the main purpose of your post. Yes, I did hear the PNET had lower requirements, so maybe that’s an option for you?

bitterbuffalo25 wrote:

What are you doing, if I may ask, to improve your CV? Just looking for the experience of others in HK here.

I'm going to get a PGCE. I have a BA and MA in TESOL already, but don't think it's enough to get into a school. A PGDE sounds like a good option, but outside HK I don’t know if it’s that useful; or rather, you’d be better getting certified in your home country for the long-term benefits. However, if you wanted to stay in HK it could be a decent option.

I looked into doing it myself in HK, but doing it full-time you pay international fees given that you'd need a student visa; fees are 146,000 HKD (plus 73,000 non-refundable deposit) which is pretty substantial at almost 30,000 USD. The alternative is part-time. Supposedly if you are working in HK you get lower fees because you'll have a residency ID or something like that and that would work out at 42,000 HKD (+ 20,000 HKD non-refundable deposit) which is certainly more reasonable.

I did check out the Concordia website and it says you need

Quote:
An active and growing Christian faith

But, all well and good if you're a practicing Christian, LOL. Salary seems very good though https://www.concordiashanghai.org/about-concordia/employment/benefits-salary sure you don't need a teaching license? I have a friend who was offered 12,000 RMB for a job in Shanghai whereas this is about 25-28,000 a month on level 0, so was just curious! What subject would you potentially be teaching in Concordia?
bitterbuffalo25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf -

Yeah, I must have missed the whole Christian thing...ha. Not so much my MO. I looked into international schools around China and that one had an attractive hiring package.

Honestly though, I really would prefer to live in Hong Kong. I'm going to get my TESOL certification, apply for PNET and some other jobs, and hopefully I'll find something. I'm open to studying for a PGCE part time, but yeah, that's a hefty price tag.

Perhaps there are other teaching jobs that also offer at least a partial housing allowance to offset the high residence costs. At any rate, living on HK Island and its exorbitant costs isn't a priority. Japan is great, but it's nearly impossible to move up here and it's time for a new place/new challenge.

I've heard the overall quality of life is pretty good in HK for teachers though - decent working hours and good schools, generally. And the level of English education seems to be a step up than what it is in Japan, from what I've read.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you have the right attitude to do well here. I firmly believe that HK is still a great place for teachers if they have the right mindset and are willing to work HARD and SMART. I started my teaching career here with no experience and a basic 60 hour online TEFL. Now I'm earning 100K / month, I'm my own boss, I have a very flexible schedule and I work from home.

So, anything is possible if you are willing to really give it a go.
bitterbuffalo25

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seems like you have the right attitude to do well here. I firmly believe that HK is still a great place for teachers if they have the right mindset and are willing to work HARD and SMART. I started my teaching career here with no experience and a basic 60 hour online TEFL. Now I'm earning 100K / month, I'm my own boss, I have a very flexible schedule and I work from home.

So, anything is possible if you are willing to really give it a go.

Jmbf - that's certainly very encouraging. How long have you been in HK? Any advice for where to start out or just any advice in general? I'm not new to being an expat, but HK is more competitive and therefore the market is very different. I appreciate any advice from someone that has worked hard and found a good position for themselves in HK. Smile
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitterbuffalo25 wrote:
kpjf -

Yeah, I must have missed the whole Christian thing...ha. Not so much my MO. I looked into international schools around China and that one had an attractive hiring package.

Haha, I guess you could lie and pretend? Not very "Christian", but hey!

I'm not so familiar with China but I'd imagine if the salary is attractive like Concordia then you'll need a teaching license. I mean can an average TEFL teacher really get 28,000 RMB monthly in Shanghai? For the really good international schools it seems you'll need

- a teaching license
- a minimum of a couple of years of home experience teaching that subject

I have heard from people that in HK you start off on an average salary, but can move your way up by means of experience in the country; just like Jmbf. I think s/he is talking mainly about doing privates, so offering yourself for private lessons, building up a base, reputation etc.

I don't know if you can trust this, but interestingly Japan's level of English is (supposedly) higher than that of HK's http://www.ef.co.uk/epi/

Quote:

01Denmark
02Netherlands
03Sweden
04Finland
05Norway
06Poland...

24South Korea
25India
26Japan
27Italy
28Indonesia
29France
30Taiwan
31Hong Kong

But, of course there are more foreigners in HK than Japan, thus English is probably more widely spoken.

Anyway, good luck!
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bitterbuffalo25"]
Quote:

Jmbf - that's certainly very encouraging. How long have you been in HK? Any advice for where to start out or just any advice in general? I'm not new to being an expat, but HK is more competitive and therefore the market is very different. I appreciate any advice from someone that has worked hard and found a good position for themselves in HK. Smile

I've been in HK for over 10 years. My advice to you would be to set realistic goals both short term, medium and long term. Be prepared to be flexible if new opportunities arise. Network as much as you can. Don't stop expanding your skill set.

If you intend to stay in HK long term, after 7 years you can get Permanent Residency and that will open up more options for you.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitterbuffalo25:

If you decide to only do privates, just be aware that employers in HK and other countries may not count private tutoring as verifiable classroom teaching experience.
Jmbf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
bitterbuffalo25:

If you decide to only do privates, just be aware that employers in HK and other countries may not count private tutoring as verifiable classroom teaching experience.

Yes and no and it depends on what your focus is. If you do private tutoring properly, you have to register yourself either as a Sole Proprietorship or a Limited Company. CEO / Owner of an educational company sounds just as impressive (if not more so) on your CV as "Primary Teacher at XXX."

Of course, if you tutor on the side illegally then it makes sense that you can't claim that as verifiable classroom teaching experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: