Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full time contract, can I get hours?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Full time contract, can I get hours? Reply with quote

Is teaching at multiple schools when you already have a work permit typical? I've taught some privates but I very rarely hear of others at my school teaching somewhere else.

CELTA, BA, American, Less than 1 year exp, prefer teaching kids rather than adults. Any suggestions? I just want an additional class so that I'm teaching more than 16 hrs a week and I don't think I'll get the hours where I am currently.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not legal, but it is typical. You're only allowed to have 1 work permit, and it only covers the work you're doing for the company which applied for it. So if you're teaching at multiple schools, you will be teaching illegally, risking the chance you'll get caught and deported.

That said, I've never heard of a teacher who has been deported for that. It's actually riskier that your "main" school will hear that you're working for a competing school and fire you, thus leaving you with less hours and no work permit.

My school requires their teachers don't work for any schools which teach the same age groups. And they recommend you don't teach at another school due to the work being technically illegal.
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll just try to do better. I'll apply to others as my contract is ending soon.I don't hear any really talk of working at second schools. Privates I hear sometimes and I have taught privately also. Thanks
Cristan_M

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ExpatLuke"]It's not legal, but it is typical. You're only allowed to have 1 work permit, and it only covers the work you're doing for the company which applied for it. So if you're teaching at multiple schools, you will be teaching illegally, risking the chance you'll get caught and deported.

That said, I've never heard of a teacher who has been deported for that. It's actually riskier that your "main" school will hear that you're working for a competing school and fire you, thus leaving you with less hours and no work permit.

My school requires their teachers don't work for any schools which teach the same age groups. And they recommend you don't teach at another school due to the work being technically illegal.[/quote]

Hi there,

I'm moving to Hanoi to teach English in September and I have a few questions about what you wrote (if you don't mind answering!). From what I have read, there appears to be two approaches that people take with teaching, 1) they have a contract/job lined up before they arrive, or 2) they wing it when they arrive and try and pick up work at a few different centres. I was wondering then, is it difficult to get the work permit if you take the second option and want work for a few different schools/centres? What I mean is, is being a bit more casual about your work and not taking a contract detrimental to getting the permit?

Leading on from that, I was under the impression that to get a visa for a longer period of time you needed to have a sponsor who would apply for the permit for you, and so you could use the permit as support for applying for the longer visa. Do you know then if you take the second option and can't get a permit, can you only keep applying for 3 month tourist visa?

I'm not wanting to work illegally, but I was planning on taking the CELTA and then trying to line up work after that. It appealed to me to be able to have a few different jobs to try and make some money. I had thought that if you obtained a work permit you would be covered then for all subsequent places of employment and then because you'd have a job and the permit it would make applying for a longer visa an easier process.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated Smile
Dream_Seller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendation is to get a full time contract with the best school that will hire you and seek a work permit with them. Many experienced teachers (+5 years experience) have told me the same.

As for killing it teaching....only those with previous serious teaching experience are the ones that tend to shine in that category. It is alot of work to teach extra hours especially if the payment methods are such that you don't see the reward immediately after your effort.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youbcome here without a job and look formwork, you will have to.leave the country to be issued a work permit. That said, I feel you'll have a lot more options for work if youre here already going door to door. Not many schools advertise online simply because there's already a lot of people already in the country looking for work.

The best bet is to find one school to work for which can provide you enough hours and will sponsor your work permit. They will likely also pay for your 3 month visas until you get a work permit. But it's rare to find a school which will pay for your flight out ofnthe country once the work permit is ready to be issued.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: