Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few questions after my research
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" and if people have moved over to the business/engineering sector from teaching in China."

I do not have direct experience in this but will offer some indirect experience and bits and pieces of info that I have picked up.

Of course people make the jump and some have gone on to do quite well.

Things that might be a hurdle for you:

Your age. Chinese are into the experience thing to the point that it is pathetic. Many Chinese in a position of hiring have blinders on and see years on the job as the only determinant of suitability for a position.

Visas. Used to be easier for Chinese companies to rationalize to the government why they needed the help of a foreign devil in their firm. This has passed, most likely due to the government's aim to increase employment with the sizable number of its own unemployed college graduates.

Chinese competition. There are more returning graduates from Western Universities that the firm can employ who have the Western education and English skill set (at least in their estimation) that they need. With a Westerner they need to get the visa, pay them more, and they very likely don't have adequate Chinese language skills.

Reputation. In the past many Chinese businesses believed that the Westerner possessed magical powers that would somehow transform their business. So they would hire any foreigner who knew nothing about business and then see the dismal results. About the best thing they became good for was showing off to the other Chinese businessmen at KTV or acting as a white face with their Western clients.

I would suggest that your odds of success will have a lot to do with showing your value and pulling back. To use an example, my first language school had a young woman who one male student-friend informed me was the most famous prostitute in the city. After laughing for quite some time about it, I thought how intriguing this was. She was cute, but certainly no beauty and her body was just ok. But observing her you could see how her gestures, attitude, and deft use of eyes played on men (including me). She certainly understood rich Chinese men as she would turn down 95% of them hence creating a fierce competition. One businessman bought her a nice apartment which she laughed about at school to the tutors the next day.

Hence, make yourself the perceived prize with innuendo about how other Chinese bosses are pursuing you and watch the interest in you grow. Take the traditional young but willing to learn route and add in the Asian belief that begging is good and watch the interest in hiring you wane accordingly. It is human nature, but to the extreme with the Chinese who will be in a position to hire you.
Angel.Ro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
"

Visas. Used to be easier for Chinese companies to rationalize to the government why they needed the help of a foreign devil in their firm. This has passed, most likely due to the government's aim to increase employment with the sizable number of its own unemployed college graduates.

Chinese competition. There are more returning graduates from Western Universities that the firm can employ who have the Western education and English skill set (at least in their estimation) that they need. With a Westerner they need to get the visa, pay them more, and they very likely don't have adequate Chinese language skills.

I was speaking with a Chinese friend who was in my graduating class, and he's back home working in China now. He told me the exact same thing and was telling me there was actually a program on the news about all the Western-educated graduates coming back to China to work. Coming from him: Chinese that are educated in the West offer all the perks of a foreigner - speaking English, knowledge of Western culture etc - plus they speak Chinese and know Chinese culture. His father also owns a company and just simply won't hire non-Chinese anymore.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angel.Ro wrote:
jimpellow wrote:

Chinese that are educated in the West offer all the perks of a foreigner - speaking English, knowledge of Western culture etc - plus they speak Chinese and know Chinese culture. His father also owns a company and just simply won't hire non-Chinese anymore.

Ditto that. There are large numbers of Chinese attending US and UK universities. A recent news story reported that a huge surge of over 270,000 Chinese arrived to the US in the 2013-2014 academic year, and that rate has been increasing.
solidsnake13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great replies!

It seems there is some conflict on whether I should start applying in April or wait till I have the actual degree (May 14th). I would assume it should be fine since by the time they start needing paperwork I would have my official degree to scan and send them, but I am afraid that they might not bother to reply to my application if they notice there is no degree but a transcript instead.

And for coming early... I guess it seems like the chances are pretty low but not entirely impossible. Obviously I would wait until the contract is signed until I ask and it's not a deal breaker for me, but if they allow me to I'd rather come early. Guess it depends on how the FAO is feeling.

Those threads on private sector jobs were a great read, it does look like things have gotten much harder recently, but with an engineering degree and my experience in the semi-conductor industry, it would be possible with connections and the right self-marketing. I actually stumbled upon a few entry level engineering positions in Dalian during my search.
But for now I will keep that as a very speculative option.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than actually applying with all the scans and other ducks in a row, see if you can get into conversation with a school.
We are now at mid July, so as others have said, FAO people are probably away.
Sooner or later you have to front the Chinese employers and too many posters here seem reluctant to do that.
Re tech jobs I know that the telcos are very cyclic and after boom times suppliers like Ericsson are laying off staff big time.
In Dalian I would look at Neusoft and Dalian U of Technology for FT jobs which could transition into work in your specialty area.
Having an income and a place to live makes looking around for 'where next' so much easier.
I taught Saturday afternoons at HP Dalian which is pretty close to Neusoft and U of T.
Fisheries U and Dalian Maritime are also close by.
U of T accom was hotel type when I visited and should be avoided. They do offer a subsidy for living off campus and that may suit your situation.
Again try getting into conversation which will avoid your lack of complete paperwork right now.
That said Dalian is an active place economically and they have no need to waive requirements just to get staff.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one way of looking at it:

Jobs become available in April and you don't apply - you definitely won't get one of these jobs. Apply and you might. What is there to lose? Nothing. Come the middle of May those jobs will have been snapped up and long gone.

All that really matters is that you have the degree when they apply for your visa. I got offered my job in the middle of April. Today I got an email from the FAO of the uni saying my invitation had been processed. So they took 12 weeks to do it - which means the first 7 weeks or so they just sat on the paperwork. TIC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: