Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideal career suggestions for international living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mico

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Ideal career suggestions for international living Reply with quote

I'm an American citizen and have come to the conclusion that I will move to another country some day, but am finding out that the countries that I am considering have guidelines for immigrants to gain citizenship as well as having economic setbacks that make it difficult for immigrants to find jobs. My question is whether there is any set rule for expats with specific career skills that make it easier to find jobs in other countries, and if it would be wise for someone wanting to immigrate to begin getting the education at this time to facilitate moving.
Thanks for your input and time
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal career suggestions for international living Reply with quote

mico wrote:
My question is whether there is any set rule for expats with specific career skills that make it easier to find jobs in other countries, and if it would be wise for someone wanting to immigrate to begin getting the education at this time to facilitate moving.

Although the ESL Cafe doesn't focus on immigration, I seems you're asking about TEFL as a potential career since it would allow you work/live outside your home country. If that's the case, then it would help if you provided more info about yourself, such as your degree level and major (if you have a university degree) and those countries you think you want to teach in.

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ideal career suggestions for international living Reply with quote

mico wrote:
I'm an American citizen and have come to the conclusion that I will move to another country some day, but am finding out that the countries that I am considering have guidelines for immigrants to gain citizenship as well as having economic setbacks that make it difficult for immigrants to find jobs. My question is whether there is any set rule for expats with specific career skills that make it easier to find jobs in other countries, and if it would be wise for someone wanting to immigrate to begin getting the education at this time to facilitate moving.
Thanks for your input and time

As an American and wanting to live and work abroad there are several issues that come into play.

For passport/visa reasons you can pretty much rule out the EU.

If you have a valid degree and a clean FBI check then all of Asia is open to you as an EFL teacher
BUT
they are typically entry level jobs and there is a clearly defined glass ceiling.

Central and South America will present opportunities but the pay isn't great. The same can be said of east Europe. I don't know what the situation is in the middle east for EFL teachers at the moment.
Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to work there.

If you want something with an expat package (air, housing, medical, generous salary and vacation time) then your options are more limited but the packages are more lucrative.

A B.Ed with home country licensure and a couple of years of classroom time will put you in the running for the better "international school" jobs. These typically pay 2-5x better than EFL jobs and have nice benefit packages as well.

Beyond that, a decent MBA will put you in good stead globally but you will need some real-world experience before you will be picked up for off-shore opportunities.

AND to wrap this up.... before you go spending time and money getting your degree or post grad qualifications you should maybe consider what YOU like to do.

Spending $50k for a degree in education because you think you can get a job is just dumb unless being a teacher is where you really think your career path lies. The same is true with a BBA or MBA. If your head is not into the business side of things then the degree is just a waste of money.

Pick a career that sparks your inner self and then see what you need to do to get there. Put the horse in front of the cart and not the other way round.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: