Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a teaching job in Madrid, can you help us?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nacho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Finding a teaching job in Madrid, can you help us? Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm Spanish, I've been living in the US for some years, and now I'm moving back home to Madrid.
I'm moving with my boyfriend, an American. He doesn't speak Spanish yet, and he's inexperienced in teaching ESL.
Once we get there he'd like to find a teaching job, a long-term one if possible. He's very patient and loves to talk, so I think he'd make a good teacher. We'll be living in the centro area.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!

Nacho
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, marry him. Then, his non-EU citizenship won't be an issue for schools in terms of hiring him. Americans can find work under the table in Spain, and occasionally someone finds a legal route, but it's tough.
You should also consider health care - another issue covered by marraige, if you can do it!

Second, get him certified through a course that offers supervised teaching practice and a good background in terms of teaching/learning theory. There's plenty of competition for jobs in Spain, and he'll need all the qualifications he can get to land the kind of jobs one might want to keep long term.
Nacho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spiral,

marrying him might be possible around January, since the new president has said the gay marriage law will pass then... (God bless him, by the way)

But I think he'll get a "fake contract" from a friend in order to get health care.

He has tattoos, piercings, and dresses a little homey, do you think this would be a potential problem? I know he's not taking those piercings away, he'd rather be a housewife.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Are you counting on the US prez or the Spanish one? Hope the Enlightened Europeans might come thru for you, though I just read some negative news about a legal annulment of a gay marraige in France, I think it was. I am rooting for a change in the US admin., but even so, I doubt the acceptance level for non-traditional relationships is going to change much, unfortunately.

In terms of appearance, teachers are best considered "professionals" and there is a costume that generally goes with the label.........

The ESL profession in particular has had more than it's share of backpacker types whose lacks in terms of professionalism have soured (somewhat) the atmosphere for what might be more fairly termed individuality of appearance.....
SEndrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a teaching job in Madrid, can you help us? Reply with quote

Nacho wrote:
Hello,
I'm Spanish, I've been living in the US for some years, and now I'm moving back home to Madrid.
I'm moving with my boyfriend, an American. He doesn't speak Spanish yet, and he's inexperienced in teaching ESL.
Once we get there he'd like to find a teaching job, a long-term one if possible. He's very patient and loves to talk, so I think he'd make a good teacher. We'll be living in the centro area.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!

Nacho

If you're going back to Madrid, and your b/f doesnt have the qualifications, he can still get work though it is becoming increasingly difficult.

and if he wants to teach, he should be able to get the STUDENTS to talk. It is not important that he loves to talk.

why not check out Canterbury English school since they have a certification programme and he can most probably get work with them.
Nacho

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral,
I was talking about the flaming new Spanish president, who's promised to pass gay marriage in January and make my life much easier. Yipeeeee!!! Very Happy

Sendrigo,

I agree with you, he'd better make the students talk. I think he will, he's very approachable, and kind.

It looks like he'll have to get a certification. How long does that take? and how much does it cost?

Danke schon
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news about Spanish law 2005, Nach. Hope others will follow the lead..................

Re: certification, a 30-day introductory course should be sufficient to start. There are several reputable courses offered in Spain (see the thread on Teacher Training for names). Primarily, be sure that the course offers some supervised teaching practice in addition to an introduction to theory. Be wary of on-line courses or courses offering less than 30 days - sometimes they tend to be based more on "how to get a job" than on how to teach.....and good language schools know the difference when considering job applicants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: