Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PORTUGAL - university/college teaching jobs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: PORTUGAL - university/college teaching jobs? Reply with quote

PORTUGAL - university/college teaching jobs?

Feel free to PM me. Particularly for MA with TESOL/AppLing/etc. I'm always been interested in the possibility of teaching in Portugal universities. I have publications and conference presentations as well.

I've also been studying Portuguese for a few years. Anyone even remotely know of anyone else who might have been doing this? Even heresay is something, as I don't expect to meet anyone here with direct experience in this.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're American?
Difficult to impossible to get a work permit, or for a school to get one for you. They have to argue to the national government that no EU member citizen who applied for the job has the skills and quals that you do. This is unreasonable, given the many-many-many UK citizens with related MA ++.

Germany is a somewhat different kettle of fish- more open work permit laws and a far stronger economy, meaning that you might (eventually) find an opening.
markcmc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll just need to contact the universities directly and ask. I have the feeling the jobs will be hard to find because of the amount of educated Portuguese with good English, and because of the relatively small number of universities in the country.

When I lived and taught English in Portugal I never saw any university jobs advertised.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest Brazil might be a much easier Portuguese speaking country to find work in.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
I suggest Brazil might be a much easier Portuguese speaking country to find work in.

Not unless things have changed in the last two years.

Brazil has very few legal options for expat teachers. It has basically the same restrictions as EU countries put in place for non-EU job applicants, with perhaps even more burdensome paperwork. An employer must be able to prove that an exhaustive search for a qualified Brazilian was unsuccessful. The student visa, unlike many countries, does not allow paid work. The main path to legal residency is the "Stable Union" visa, but, of course, this requires someone else to be in a stable union with you!

Only Brazilian citizens can hold jobs in the public schools. Language schools and private schools do hire plenty of expat teachers, but on illegal "service provider" contracts, which allow them to claim that they were unaware the teacher was undocumented. Some top international schools are exceptions, and will take on the lengthy work permit process involved in hiring a foreign teacher. I have heard that universities are also sometimes willing to go through the paperwork for the candidate of their choice, but how frequent this is, I don't know. The OP could start inquiring, if interested, since he is qualified for university work.

While Brazil seems to have a number of expat teachers, they are almost all working illegally, and, for that matter, living there illegally after their tourist visa extension expires. (90-day visa, one 90-day extension allowed; max 180 days in country per year.) The range of consequences if caught seems pretty mild; nonetheless, teachers should be aware that they have no legal protections, and employers can take advantage of their illegal status.

ETA: This info is almost two years old, so conceivably there have been changes in that time.

spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I had no idea it was so restrictive! It does sound similar to Portugal in terms of difficulty.
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never understand why Americans always insist on going to Europe for work, and it seems they manage to get to in some countries, but Europeans would barely get a glimmer of hope in the States!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continental Europe is a non-Anglophone area, so there is less competition than in the US, which is similar to the UK, obviously. Yanks have zero chances in the UK, UKians have zero in the US.

But there is some room for Yanks in some parts of the Eurozone, under some circumstances.
markcmc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Interesting - I had no idea it was so restrictive! It does sound similar to Portugal in terms of difficulty.

Remember that the OP was asking about university work, which is always harder to find than teaching jobs in language schools.

But both Portugal and Brazil are harder than many other countries. In Portugal there is teaching work, but it can take some effort to find. I've consistently heard the same story about Brazil as Xie Lin says. When I worked in Portugal I met many teachers who had spent time in Brazil. They all worked illegally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: