Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any recommendations on Italian Language schools in Florence?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoulful Nichole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Any recommendations on Italian Language schools in Florence? Reply with quote

Hi,

First time poster, long time reader of the cafe. I am planning on moving to lovely Florence, to study art history, Italian and hopefully teach English to pay the bills and still eat occasionally.
I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience teaching English as well as taking Italian courses at the same time. And what schools could you recommend for learning Italian as a beginner. I've have found the Scuola Toscana, (fair prices) Michelangelo Institute (a bit expensive, but their Art History course looks interesting), Scuola Leonardo (very $$$) and the Koine Center, (modestly priced). Any other schools?

Thanks so much~
Grazie~

Last edited by Seoulful Nichole on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Louisdf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Any reccomendations on Italian Language schools in Flore Reply with quote

Seoulful Nichole wrote:
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader of the cafe. I am planning on moving to lovely Florence, to study art history, Italian and hopefully teach English to pay the bills and still eat occasionally.
I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience teaching English as well as taking Italian courses at the same time. And what schools could you recommend for learning Italian as a beginner. I've have found the Scuola Toscana, (fair prices) Michelangelo Institute (a bit expensive, but their Art History course looks interesting), Scuola Leonardo (very $$$) and the Koine Center, (modestly priced). Any other schools?

Thanks so much~
Grazie~

What nationality are you and what type of visa will you have? If you're a non-EU citizen on a tourist visa, working legally is out of the question.
Seoulful Nichole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an American, and I plan on doing a long term Italian program. So I will be on a student visa. But if I can find an ESL teaching job over there first and get a work visa through them, that would be preferable.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulful Nichole wrote:
I am an American, and I plan on doing a long term Italian program. So I will be on a student visa. But if I can find an ESL teaching job over there first and get a work visa through them, that would be preferable.

It is extremely difficult for an American to get a work visa as the school would need to prove that there is nobody in the whole of the EU who could fill the job. Very difficult when there are over 60 million people in the UK! There are many threads about this already.
Working part-time on a student visa is your only viable option if you wish to work legally.
Seoulful Nichole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic. Sad Well I guess I will study only then.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out, but I think you need to be studying at an accredited place (ie state university) to allow you to also teach part-time. If it's important for you to be able to teach and earn, ask the places you're thinking of studying at if they're suitably accredited.
Seoulful Nichole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the tip!
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Florence Reply with quote

Some language schools offer their staff reduced rates on language classes. Be sure to ask at interview.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Any recommendations on Italian Language schools in Flore Reply with quote

Seoulful Nichole wrote:
I am planning on moving to lovely Florence, to study art history, Italian and hopefully teach English to pay the bills and still eat occasionally.

My understanding is that you're an American planning to study art history in Florence as a bona fide university student on a student visa, yet you also hope to teach EFL part time at a language school. Is that correct?
Seoulful Nichole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Any recommendations on Italian Language schools in Flore Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Seoulful Nichole wrote:
I am planning on moving to lovely Florence, to study art history, Italian and hopefully teach English to pay the bills and still eat occasionally.

My understanding is that you're an American planning to study art history in Florence as a bona fide university student on a student visa, yet you also hope to teach EFL part time at a language school. Is that correct?

No, not as a uni student but just as a regular student taking Italian lessons and art history classes the language school offers. There are only 2 universities that I found that offer a masters of Art History in English. So I decided to study Italian first then decide if I want to study Art History in Italian. Sorry for the confusion.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Italian lessons and art history classes the language school offers.

You may not be able to get a visa to stay longer than 90 days (followed by 90 days outside of the Schengen zone) if you are only studying at a language school.
lindaann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the ABC School in Florence for italian language study.
Seoulful Nichole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lindaann wrote:
I can recommend the ABC School in Florence for italian language study.

Do you know anything about the prices? I can't find anything about it on their website.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: