Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

going from freelance to self-employed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MR_BELG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: going from freelance to self-employed Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Chicago native here teaching in Belgium. I've been teaching here for 2.5 years now and I am trying to become completely self-employed. The language schools are simply taking too much money.

A few months ago I attended an ESL teacher's conference here in Belgium, and one of the presentations was about this very topic. The presenter suggested that we offer "packages" instead of simply selling our services per hour. She pointed out that, from the client's point of view, we are worth what we charge per hour because this is the only thing that the client sees. Meaning that they will be blissfully unaware that we spend time preparing lessons, doing placement evaluations, meeting with HR personnel, traveling to the site, grading homework, etc....

So my question is: I'm at the point where I need to create the packages. In addition to incorporating the above points I mentioned, is there anything else that I should (or could) include in the packages? Does anyone know of a website with such an offering that I could check? Thank you in advance for any assistance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried contacting the presenter who spoke on this topic?
MR_BELG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked for her website, but it wasn't similar to what I'm doing....
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR_BELG wrote:
I checked for her website, but it wasn't similar to what I'm doing....

My suggestion was that you actually contact her since she likely would have a better understanding of what it is you're trying to do.

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen posts from anyone teaching in Belgium ! I met someone who had been teaching there but he took my advice and went to work in Saudi Arabia !

Last edited by scot47 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A company I used to work for invoiced the clients in the way you describe, with the invoice breaking down into travel, materials development and teaching time (yours could include the time you spend correcting homework or preparing). Another company I worked for invoiced separately for pre-course testing... Where I work now (where students are private individuals mostly) there is an annual enrolment fee (covering pre-course testing, materials, etc) before the cost of the lessons.

I think that - within reason - you could work out a package structure that compensates you fairly for your time and expertise. You could even use it to set yourself apart from the competition.
MR_BELG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It is also an issue of being competitive with the local schools in the area. Thankfully, there aren't too many of them at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: