Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When are you too old?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: When are you too old? Reply with quote

Okay. So at 25 years old I'm still young. However I'm thinking about my life long term. I thought about going to China and I considered Taiwan as well. However since China is a place where foreigners will always be singled out socially (to a degree anyway) I'm thinking about Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, maybe Korea.

I know that once you reach a specific age, many schools won't even consider hiring you. Whether it be at language centers, or whatever. I also know that it can vary depending on which country you go to. So for the time being, can anyone share with me their opinions on what age of people start to have trouble getting ESL jobs per country?
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: When are you too old? Reply with quote

Chroniclesoffreedom wrote:
However since China is a place where foreigners will always be singled out socially (to a degree anyway) I'm thinking about Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, maybe Korea.

Japan is also someplace where you'd generally be "singled out socially". It generally takes a long time to build real, close friendships with Japanese people, and often requires very high level Japanese ability. Superficial friendships are a bit easier, of course.

Quote:
So for the time being, can anyone share with me their opinions on what age of people start to have trouble getting ESL jobs per country?

This will vary depending on the type of job you are talking about. Are you only talking about entry-level jobs that only require one to be a native speaker and have an unrelated undergrad degree? For Japan, probably around 40 is where it might get a little more difficult for entry-level jobs. However, 40 would still be a fairly young age for an experienced teacher with a related MA (or higher) looking for a position at a university.
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking 60 in the face and I still have no problems staying employed....

If you plan to stay at the entry level in EFL then by about 40 you start to have issues finding work and earning enough to get beyond the backpacker lifestyle (gets tiring after a few years).

If you plan to make a career out of it (after you have tried it for a couple of years) then get some professional development going and go mainstream rather than entry level.

As to social isolation.... it happens in all countries in Asia until you acquire enough local language to have a basic conversation. Before that point you are limited to social settings with those who speak YOUR language which severely limits your social interactions.

roadwalker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you 'blend in', the harder it will be to find a job teaching English. People expect a certain amount of foreign-ness from their foreign language teachers.

I think it's way too early to inquire about age restrictions, except in a general sense. For example, I've heard that Japan and Korea are much more likely to appreciate youth than, say, China. But I'd ask (or search) on those particular forums for more educated opinions. If it's a career, then I agree with the above advice to continue gaining credentials, knowledge, and useful experience. The more you have to offer on paper, and in interviews, the less you will need to worry about being left behind. Of course, you could take advanced courses and decide you like the entry level-type jobs better, but you will have options.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Looking 60 in the face and I still have no problems staying employed....

If you plan to stay at the entry level in EFL then by about 40 you start to have issues finding work and earning enough to get beyond the backpacker lifestyle (gets tiring after a few years).

If you plan to make a career out of it (after you have tried it for a couple of years) then get some professional development going and go mainstream rather than entry level.

As to social isolation.... it happens in all countries in Asia until you acquire enough local language to have a basic conversation. Before that point you are limited to social settings with those who speak YOUR language which severely limits your social interactions.

That all makes sense.

I just remember reading somewhere that nobody over 35 should teach in Taiwan. And in Indonesia they accept even middle aged people. But I will keep in mind what you said.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: When are you too old? Reply with quote

Chroniclesoffreedom wrote:
So at 25 years old I'm still young. However I'm thinking about my life long term. I thought about going to China and I considered Taiwan as well. However since China is a place where foreigners will always be singled out socially (to a degree anyway) I'm thinking about Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, maybe Korea.

Frankly, who can say what the TEFL market will even look like by the time you hit 40, 50... In other words, the way we see it now very likely won't reflect how it will be 15-20 plus years in the future.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Question when are you too old to teach English makes me laugh Laughing

I know many teachers in their 60's, 70's and even early 80's teaching English in Asia....reason simply is the economics of today's working poor...they can't afford to retire on their savings and/or pensions...so they must work till they drop!
piglet44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of countries will still take you over 60 but as was pointed out, who knows what the world will look like by then- you are only 25! Who could have foretold the internet, the death of paper photographs, digital music or 3D printing and self drive cars! Laughing
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One is too old to teach when one says he is too old to teach...I am a South African in my 50's but look 38...and everyone who knows me agrees...and job offers keep pouring in! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
One is too old to teach when one says he is too old to teach...I am a South African in my 50's but look 38...and everyone who knows me agrees...and job offers keep pouring in! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

EFL Educator,

Are you currently based in South Africa or elsewhere?

twowheel
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am South African currently based in ASIA. Very Happy
twowheel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator,

Cheers.

I will turn 43 next month and am looking to make a long go of it here in East Asia.

twowheel.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought about going to China and I considered Taiwan as well. However since China is a place where foreigners will always be singled out socially (to a degree anyway) I'm thinking about Indonesia, Japan, Thailand, maybe Korea.

You seem to be imagining a scenario in which you choose one country and live there "forever".

The reality is that many, if not most, people have lived and taught in at least two countries that are on "the circuit" stretching from South Korea to Indonesia to the Persian Gulf. A nomadic lifestyle is not for everyone and yes, people do seem to eventually settle down somewhere, but English teachers have a fair amount of mobility and packing up and moving somewhere new (or back to somewhere old) is always an option.

Change is the one constant in life. The only certain prediction we can make about the future is that it is going to be different from now.
theoriginalprankster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a South African in my 50's but look 38

Let us in on the secret.

I'm 38, and look 38.

(Also a Saffa in Asia)
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret be told...here on this forum.....sorry.....however I do YOUTH consultations for EFL teachers in private... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: