Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Medical rip-off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokesignals

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Medical rip-off Reply with quote

Previous to 2013, I had 3 medicals in-country, as part of the process of getting an employment visa. I did not have to pay for them. Now that I am about to return, it looks like I am expected to foot the bill for the medical myself, to obtain my employment visa, with a new employer. Details are sketchy at the moment, but I know from another recent job offer, that the vague list of "tests" that I was expected to pass on the medical form would have taken ages to complete, and been extremely expensive. Not only that, but the staff at the medical centre here in the UK could not really understand exactly what was required. Perhaps the clearest thing was the HIV test. I had one of those in 1997 for a visa to enter Russia, and it cost me a lot of money back then!

Does anyone else have demands to produce a medical before arrival in Oman, and in what form does that take?

Right now, I am pushing for an early arrival, to "settle in" prior to starting work, which I need to do anyway, and undertake the medical at the same time, in Oman, hopefully at my new employer's expense.

My, how employers and recruiters are getting cheeky now - baisa-pinchers!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your new employer should provide the forms that need to be filled. This was actually required when I went to SQU in 1988, so it isn't anything really new. They sent me the form and my doctor in Egypt (where I was currently teaching) filled it out. I brought it with me and then once in Oman, had the HIV test, and chest x-ray to confirm.

VS
smokesignals

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Medical rip-off Reply with quote

1988! Well, that was donkeys years ago.

I was not required to complete any part of a medical outside Oman in 2007.

Also, what about the scenario of if you are already in Oman (whatever the circumstances) and you are offered a job? Surely, you should be able to undertake all steps of the medical inside Oman?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What should be and what is... two different things in the Gulf. LOL I don't believe that the contractors have been requiring it. Check with current rules as to transferring... it can be problematic. There have been stories that one must leave the country for a couple years. Your current employer likely has to sigh off on it... and your new employer would have to push for the transfer.

VS
(yes, Oman was a truly wonderful place in 1988... SQU only two years old... my first job after my MA... very little traffic... no such thing as a tourist visa...)
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Medical rip-off Reply with quote

smokesignals wrote:

Does anyone else have demands to produce a medical before arrival in Oman, and in what form does that take?

Right now, I am pushing for an early arrival, to "settle in" prior to starting work, which I need to do anyway, and undertake the medical at the same time, in Oman, hopefully at my new employer's expense.

The medical that you undertake outside Oman is not the 'official' one. My understanding is that it is done so that the employer knows that you are medically fit to work in Oman. They don't want you arriving here, at their expense, and then find out that you are ineligible to work in the country. The official/real medical is done inside Oman after you arrive, and, in my case, was at the employer's expense. I got the unofficial one done in Vietnam and I was told what the checklist was prior to doing it (from memory it included a chest x-ray and a blood test). I paid for it, but, as it was in Southeast Asia, it didn't cost that much. Good luck!
balqis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also of an opinion that your prior-to-arrival medical test will not replace the official one to be done in Oman after you arrive.

Therefore go for the absolute minimum, i.e. take the cheapest shortcut available for you, and if you know a doctor or have one in the family, try to do it with the befriended doctor. In medical test forms sometime it is enough just to indicate ''negative'' next to the question. So a lot can be done with it just over a cup of tea with lemon.

The problem arises, when/if you have to legalize/attest such medical test certificate, as then you will/may be asked to produce the actual test results, though again not always, sometimes they = the body that legalizes such medical cert - only attest the doctor's or hospital's stamp.

But is it a requirement for Oman?
I have never heard of it before.
Panta rhei though...

balqis
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of anybody having to pay for the medical themselves-always the employer/ recruiter.....for whom was the OP intending to work?
balqis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I should add.
This medical test form is a regular document provided to you by the embassy of Oman. It is not something random you get from some physician, but a document you download from the Oman Embassy website.
Is there such document on the website of the embassy of Oman you will be dealing with?
This standardized medical test is a regular requirement for KSA contracts fro example.
balqis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: