Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The JIS Debacle and Criminal Record Checks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purav1da83

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there's been a break this week.

http://thejakartaglobe.beritasatu.com/news/court-rejects-sex-abuse-lawsuit-international-school/
Listerine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a positive step (in spite of a bunch of people imprisoned or dead as a result of what is seemingly horseshit) Alas it's the Indonesian legal system we're talking about, so likely a more cynical explanation. Perhaps the court's cut of the 125 mil wasn't high enough?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listerine wrote:
Seems like a positive step (in spite of a bunch of people imprisoned or dead as a result of what is seemingly horseshit). Alas it's the Indonesian legal system we're talking about, so likely a more cynical explanation. Perhaps the court's cut of the 125 mil wasn't high enough?

We all know that the Indonesian judiciary are one of the most corrupt institutions known to man. Nonetheless, this decision is welcome. I also note that the copycat allegations against Highscope haven't gone anywhere, so maybe sanity is starting to return.

Yet this latest case raises a lot of new questions. Eight men have been found guilty in a criminal case of sexual assault against this one child, and yet the mother doesn't win a civil case for compensation? As we all know, the burden of proof is much higher in a criminal case than a civil one.

If there isn't enough proof of abuse to satisfy a civil case, then what are these 8 men doing in jail? One person has already died in police custody and now they are telling us the claims don't even pass the sniff test in a civil case? The surviving 7 teachers and cleaners now need to be released. Otherwise, this case will continue to haunt the education sector in Indonesia.
Listerine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Indon judicial system seems to either be on drugs or have caught a nasty case of rational-itis this week. They also just awarded *against* the Suharto family in a case involving money they had embezzled from the country's national scholarship fund in the 90s - requiring them to pay back something like 325 million bucks - likely Tommy's annual budget for hookers and blow. "Please pay in dollars, sirs. Country's foreign reserve bankrupt!"
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news! The teachers have been exonerated and are going to be released. The medical records from Singapore were admitted by the High Court and they proved that the sexual assaults never even happened! As the expat community knew for over a year, these charges were a bogus scam aimed at extracting money from JIS, the best international school in Indonesia. The whole fraud has now been exposed.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of the JIS Scandal in Perspective Reply with quote

markustm wrote:
Actually, this "crackdown" only will be temporary, until the Indonesian authorities check the validity of the visas of teachers currently working in Indonesia.

I was actually surprised that given the extent of abuse at JIS, the authorities didn't react more harshly, and like I stated before the authorities have to act in order to ensure, this sick abuse won't occur again.

This is probably a nationwide check of visas and not a witch hunt, and once new visa regulations have been implemented teaching opportunities in Indonesia, will continue.

Try and put things in perspective. Yes, it is smart for teachers to check with their schools if their visa documents are in order, and I expect
the schools are already doing this.

Obviously, this will pass, and in a few years, the expatriate teaching community will still be needed in Indonesia, and there always be language schools that hire teachers like EF, Tbi, Wall Street and others, irrespective of the current situation.

The worse thing about the JIS scandal in my opinion is the actual fact that the abuse took place.

I wonder if Markustm will now admit he was wrong about the abuse taking place? Clearly, this case has done untold damage to the reputation of Indonesia and yet Markustm chose to believe the corrupt authorities over the innocent teachers, who have now been vindicated. The abuse never took place. This whole thing was a sick fabrication.

Anyone who followed the case closely would have known that these were trumped-up charges based on fantastic evidence. One wonders why Markustm ever gave these bizarre charges any credence?
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Effects of the JIS Scandal in Perspective Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:
markustm wrote:
Actually, this "crackdown" only will be temporary, until the Indonesian authorities check the validity of the visas of teachers currently working in Indonesia.

I was actually surprised that given the extent of abuse at JIS, the authorities didn't react more harshly, and like I stated before the authorities have to act in order to ensure, this sick abuse won't occur again.

This is probably a nationwide check of visas and not a witch hunt, and once new visa regulations have been implemented teaching opportunities in Indonesia, will continue.

Try and put things in perspective. Yes, it is smart for teachers to check with their schools if their visa documents are in order, and I expect

Obviously, this will pass, and in a few years, the expatriate teaching community will still be needed in Indonesia, and there always be language schools that hire teachers like EF, Tbi, Wall Street and others, irrespective of the current situation.

The worse thing about the JIS scandal in my opinion is the actual fact that the abuse took place.

I wonder if Markustm will now admit he was wrong about the abuse taking place? Clearly, this case has done untold damage to the reputation of Indonesia and yet Markustm chose to believe the corrupt authorities over the innocent teachers, who have now been vindicated. The abuse never took place. This whole thing was a sick fabrication.

Anyone who followed the case closely would have known that these were trumped-up charges based on fantastic evidence. One wonders why Markustm ever gave these bizarre charges any credence?

Laughing Good to see you so focused on what's really important here, Brad ...
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Effects of the JIS Scandal in Perspective Reply with quote

[quote="bradleycooper"]
markustm wrote:

Actually what I was