Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about Tourist Visas and Residence Permits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ruaridh321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Question about Tourist Visas and Residence Permits Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I've posted quite a lot on this forum. Although I have still not decided where to go to try and get a TEFL certificate and job, I have the option of doing a TEFL course in October in Istanbul and trying to find work thereafter.

I've done quite a lot of research into the hiring process and visa process in Turkey but I'm still unclear of a few things and I would be VERY thankful for any information or advice:

1) I know that the tourist visa lasts for 90 days (out of 180?). Can you over-stay on your tourist visa as long as you have an appointment for a residency permit booked?

2) Do you have to book your residence permit appointment at, literally, the police station closest to your residence? I am (potentially) doing a month long course in Istanbul with accomodaton, then living in a hostel until I get a job and apartment. I would be worried that by the time I finally get an apartment it could be a long wait to get an appointment. Could I book one ahead of time as soon as I get to Turkey?

Thanks for any help Very Happy
nichtta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Tourist Visas and Residence Permits Reply with quote

Ruaridh321 wrote:
1) I know that the tourist visa lasts for 90 days (out of 180?).

It depends on your country, but generally speaking, yes, 90 days within a 180-day period. You should get the e-visa (https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/) before coming here.

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Can you over-stay on your tourist visa as long as you have an appointment for a residency permit booked?

I believe you need to have booked an appointment before your 90 days expire or it may be within 90 days after first arriving. There's a difference if you came, for example, for 30 days, then left for 30 days, then came back again for 30 days. Do you get what I mean? Well, I'm not really sure which one it is. I did it within 90 days of arriving, but then again I never left the country during that period of time.

Thereafter, yes, you can stay in the country until your appointment. However, if you leave during that time when you're basically in limbo (your tourist visa expired but you don't yet have a residence permit), you will probably be charged a penalty as well as likely banned from the country for a period of time, e.g., three months. So, you're basically stuck in the country and can't leave for that period of time. I know... it's a system that wasn't that well thought out. In addition, the Directorate General of Migration Management (http://www.goc.gov.tr/main/Eng_3) doesn't presumably communicate with the customs and border protection officers, so just having a paper that says you have booked an appointment isn't sufficient.

I should add that when you go to your appointment, tell them you're planning on leaving the country (trust me, just say it), and they should give you a piece of paper that allows you to leave for a maximum of 15 days, acting as your residence permit until you get the card in the mail. That is... unless they changed things since May. With the big changes since then, you're looking at a while to get this. They wrote that officially it's about 90 days, but who knows how long it could take? When dealing with local police departments in Istanbul, my experience was just as I was told by the officers: 30 days. However, that time's now over.

Ruaridh321 wrote:
2) Do you have to book your residence permit appointment at, literally, the police station closest to your residence?

As of May 18th, 2015, appointments are no longer made through local police stations. I believe each "il" or county/province has its own local branch representing the Directorate General of Migration Management. For Istanbul, I think it's right next door to Fatih's police station (emniyet) on Vatan Caddesi. So, that shouldn't really be a concern, unless I'm mistaken. I haven't yet done an appointment with the new system.

Ruaridh321 wrote:
I am (potentially) doing a month long course in Istanbul with accomodaton, then living in a hostel until I get a job and apartment. I would be worried that by the time I finally get an apartment it could be a long wait to get an appointment. Could I book one ahead of time as soon as I get to Turkey?

I would apply as soon as you have all the necessary documents. It's a long process, and you're going to have to do it at one point or another so might as well get it out of the way as soon as you can. Your main concern should be getting an apartment without a residence permit. It's hard to get a contract without one, but, then again, you could probably stay at a hostel or rent out a room. Just look into proving your residence, the necessary documents, and see how you can prove it.

Ruaridh321 wrote:
Thanks for any help Very Happy

No problem! Let us know if you have any other questions. =]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: