Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Offer for Katabas Erkek Lisisi, Istanbul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Offer for Katabas Erkek Lisisi, Istanbul Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with a Mr Dindar from this high school in Istanbul? I see on Facebook that two other teachers have had bad experiences with this person and think the job offers you get are a scam. Anybody out there who can shed some light on this offer - $4800 per month, accommodation on school grounds.

I'm worried because I don't get answers on questions I consider quite above board: any other Western teachers at the school; how big will the classes be; how long is a teaching hour, etc. The answer was: read your contract. Needless to say, these questions not addressed in the contract.

Thoughts?
tic1888

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

It all sounds a bit suspicious to me. I think I would write this one off and look for something else.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heks,

Did you mean KABATAS Erkek Lisesi - if they spelt it wrong, then it's definitely a scam.
nichtta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$4,800 USD / month?!!! That's around 12,790 TL / month at today's exchange rate. I don't believe it for one bit. How can they pay a high school teacher in Istanbul more than PhD college professors make, even out in the eastern provinces?
Heks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Thanks for your information. This is definitely a scam. As soon as I indicated my interest, they came back and told me to pay $750 upfront for the processing of my visa - and gave me a week to do it!

Also, I received a reply to my questions: Read your contract. That's it. Read your contract. Needless to say, none of my questions were answered in the contract, which is why I asked them in the first place.

And anyone who speaks to a prospective employee like that... well, let's just say that I gave this one a pass.

So, anyone who sees the same ad - SCAM!
cavite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Kabatas Erkek Lisesi Beware Reply with quote

I applied for their job posting I saw on another site not Dave's ESL Café. I believed it was for real. I sent all the documents they requested Resume copies of my degree, certificates, etc. I didn't hear anything for about a month.
This week I got an email saying I was under consideration for a teaching position. The email's heading says Kabatas Erkek Lisesi with the address of the school and the schools web page. Then the next day I got an email with a heading of Employment Letter. With the email was an attachment with a copy of their contract. It looked official and there was 6 pages. When I read it the text was fairly well written, so I believed it to be the schools contract. They requested that the start date was on August 17th so I had to respond ASAP. They asked me to sign the back page of the contract with my name and address so that they could start the paper work for a visa. I did so and sent it back.
Then I received another email with the name of a travel agent Mr. Kazeem Abbas at Turkish Express Travel & Tours Ltd. he requested that he needed my families passport copies to work on our permits and traveling documents, because we needed to work fast since we needed to be there in August.
I wanted to check more and sent an email asking some questions about the school and asked for phone numbers to contact the school directly. The response I got in an email this morning was that I was very stupid.
I didn't pay any money but they have my signature on that contract with my home address and copies of my families passports.
This is a big time scam and I fell for it. Please tell everyone that anything from this school is not for real. It's a phishing scam!
Does anyone know how to contact the real school to let them know that they are using the school as a front for their scam.
nichtta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sorry to hear that happened to you, cavite, and I thank you for sharing your experience here on the forum, perchance it may help others avoid this scam.

I hope you don't get your identity stolen. However, as a precaution, if you're in the US here's what I recommend:

- Call the Federal Trade Commission to tell them what happened and get a Fraud File Reference Number for your case

- Fill out a 90-day fraud alert with Experia, which will contact Equifax and Trans Union as well. It also won't allow automatic, pre-approved offers for you for the next six months

- Fill out a crime report with the Internet Crime Complaint Center
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cavite,

You could try calling the school at 00-90-212-260-4870 or writing a letter to them -

Kabatas Erkek Lisesi
Ciragan Cad No 40
Ortakoy
Istanbul.

though Turkish schools are on holiday until September.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Most men live lives of quiet desperation" MILTON and YES these are definetely desperate times in the EFL industry in Turkey and the scammers know this and they will do their best to exploit and to lie to any job seeker in the name of money! Shocked Shocked
globebot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the "heads up". Now I don't have to waste my time or money on a Turkish SOB/D!
nomadic_meow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this.

They are still sending out "offers"!

Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: